2nd Trimester
Options

Preventing stretch marks?

Gaining weight obviously, but it doesn't make it any easier! Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent stretch marks?

Re: Preventing stretch marks?

• Options
    You can't really prevent them if you're genetically supposed to get them.  You can help your skin stretch a little by drinking a lot of water and keeping it hydrated.  I use Bio Oil in the morning and cocoa butter at night.  I haven't seen the first one and I've suddenly popped. *knock on wood*
    Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

No way to prevent them. They are supposedly genetic. I have heard that staying hydrated and mouturized can help. But like I said, they are genetic.

Now, I know I can't avoid them, but that doesn't stop me from trying. After my shower I use Burt's Bees Mama Bee body oil. After that soaks in I use Burts Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, and then Burts Bees Milk and Honey lotion on the rest of my body.

Atleast I smell and feel good after all of that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can't prevent them. All you can do is try your best..but it's really a combination of genetics & a bunch of other stuff. GL not getting any, though. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

They covered this on The Doctors today (not that I like that show or often agree with them, but it confirmed what I already knew). The said it comes down to genetics, and asking your mom or sister if they got stretch marks will be the best indication as to whether you'll get them or not. But of course, staying well hydrated and moisturized wont hurt either. The doctor that was speaking on the show said that there's no evidence coconut oil helps, and vitamin E (Bio oil, etc) might help reduce the appearance, but again, wont prevent. 

I thought I was in the clear with DS but got the first one at probably 35 weeks and then was covered by the time he was born. Some women get them during labor!  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You cannot prevent them. And hey, did you know that you can get them AFTER you have the baby? Bc you can. Even on your vagina. Hooray!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    asked my dermatologist about this the other day. she told me to see her when im closer to delivery (around 8 mos into pregnancy). I'm not sure what she'll prescribe, I think she was more amused by my vanity..it's my first pregnancy hehe! but for now, she said if i really wanted to put on lotion, i could try cocoa butter. HTH!

• Options

My mom had/has a TON of stretch marks, but with my first LO (and so far with this one) I did not get any. I did, however, drink a TON of water (my dr. says a gallon a DAY), and then used Vaseline lotion on my stomach in the mornings. I would increase the amount of lotion I used every week - ie. If it was week 20, I would do 10 pumps of lotion (yeah, gross...but it worked!), and then week 21, I did 11 pumps. I ruined a robe because I would wrap up right afterwards while I got ready for work, but it was worth it!

Just thought I would reply because I didn't use cocoa butter like many others. Instead I used the less expensive stuff and got good results. 

Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageOctoberBabyH:
    You cannot prevent them. And hey, did you know that you can get them AFTER you have the baby? Bc you can. Even on your vagina. Hooray!

I did know this part about after. It's rapid weight loss or rapid gain. I didn't know you can get them on your VAGINA though! craziness!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"