December 2011 Moms
Options

CP: staying at home

If you had the chance to stay home for a year, but you knew it would cause quite a bit of stress for your DH, would you still do it?

Backstory:  DH stresses about money now and we have it.  If my paycheck weren't there, we could pay bills and have enough to live on, but we'd have to budget and be much more careful.  He grew up on free lunch and vowed he'd never live paycheck to paycheck.  We have a lot in savings, but don't want to touch it unless there is a true emergency.  I think I want to stay home, but I know it will cause him stress. And if he's not happy, I won't be either.  Part time work is not an option in my profession.  UGH.  

[poll] 

Re: CP: staying at home

• Options

I voted No, but I'm more SS.

if DH was going to be stressed because it's just his nature and we'd actually be fine, he just doesn't think so, then I probably would stay home and just work hard to show him why i thought we'd be ok.

If DH was going to be stressed because we'd be living a LOT tighter and he had reason to be stressed, then i'd probably suck it up and work.  Mostly because I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck either.

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    imageMrsT2008:

if DH was going to be stressed because it's just his nature and we'd actually be fine, he just doesn't think so, then I probably would stay home and just work hard to show him why i thought we'd be ok.

If DH was going to be stressed because we'd be living a LOT tighter and he had reason to be stressed, then i'd probably suck it up and work.  Mostly because I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck either.

This is a good point.  It is definitely his nature to stress, but I'm struggling with whether I want to purposefully make it even worse.....I know we'd be fine, but he would still always be worried. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's going to suck to have your DH more stressed out. However, if you say he's already like this and it's just a mindset then what's the difference?

We're the opposite. I'm currently a SAHM that worries and DH works and doesn't stress enough.

Maybe you can ease the pain a bit by budgeting out so he can see you're going to be fine. Finding ways to cut corners in other ways. And learning some coupon tricks. It's not going to make up for your salary...but it's going to at least help out a bit. And...with you staying home there's that huge bonus of not having to pay for childcare.

Someone said it very well the other day. We have our whole lives to work but only a few years to spend with our children. If it's important for you to stay home then make it work. I would bet the stress would be there for your DH at first...but after awhile he'd ease up and see it's do able.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageHappily Overwhelmed:

It's going to suck to have your DH more stressed out. However, if you say he's already like this and it's just a mindset then what's the difference?

We're the opposite. I'm currently a SAHM that worries and DH works and doesn't stress enough.

Maybe you can ease the pain a bit by budgeting out so he can see you're going to be fine. Finding ways to cut corners in other ways. And learning some coupon tricks. It's not going to make up for your salary...but it's going to at least help out a bit. And...with you staying home there's that huge bonus of not having to pay for childcare.

Someone said it very well the other day. We have our whole lives to work but only a few years to spend with our children. If it's important for you to stay home then make it work. I would bet the stress would be there for your DH at first...but after awhile he'd ease up and see it's do able.

I totally agree with the bolded.  and if it was in the cards for me to try to stay home, this is what I'd be doing to help ease DH's mind (or at least try to).

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options

I said no because I am your DH.  I'm the worrier.  I constantly am worried about our expenses/income etc.  DH doesn't understand why it bugs me that he doesn't pack a lunch and just buys something from the deli/etc.  Those little expenses add up and it would be impossible for me to get him to change!  If I had the good-paying job and DH wanted to stay home I think it would definitely affect our relationship.

That being said, I know our relationship and our dynamics.  The reason I married my husband is because he is very supportive, but also laid back and tends to not stress about anything.  He has the mindset that we can tackle anything thrown at us.  It is our balance that dictates my answer.  ]

I think regardless of how your poll turns out, you know  in your heart what you need to do.  If you staying home with LO next year for your own mental health, and your husband agrees that a temporary change in finances and increased budgeting is better for your marriage then go for it.  If you staying home ends up with him resenting you for causing him stress and that leads him to be less supportive (and less helpful with LO) then you may wanter reconsider it.  That's something the bump ladies can't help you with, you and DH need to discuss together in a non-emotionally charged conversation. (I know I have threatened to quit work on bad days or after a particularly rough night, that is definitely not the time to discuss a major  decision like this.

I know PT work wouldn't work as you are a teacher, but would there be any option to sub a few days a month for supplementary income?

Sorry this is a book, but LO is napping and I am bored so I thought I'd offer my POV.

Angel Baby -EDD 6/10/11 m/c at 9w2d on 11/7/10 Our Early Christmas Gift - A Beautiful Baby Girl Born December 18, 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly... If you have a great daycare program, I would work. My LO will benefit from the attention and curriculum that his daycare provides. I feel there is so many other things to do around the house that he can't possibly get all of my attention. At daycare the kids are their job. I also really enjoy having money to do as we please even after putting chunks of money into LOs bank account.
  • Options

I voted no but here's why... 

DH was married before & has 2 kids from his previous marriage.  After the 2nd child, his ex talked him into her being a SAHM - well she ran up their credit cards, started drinking and going out at night after he came home and ended up having an affair.  So not that DH doesn't trust me and we couldn't afford for me to be at home, I know that it would stress him out more if I stayed at home even though I am the exact opposite type person as his ex. 

My husband and I make a decent amount of money at our jobs & could easily afford me staying home, but we using my salary now to put into savings.  We have increased both our 401Ks to the max contribution and are working so that we can retire early and provide nice things for our kids - this past year we bought a cabin, a 4-wheeler and a boat.  We definitely could not have done that if we didn't have my income. 

ETA - My daughter loves daycare.  Its in-home and she is around two 4 year old girls that she adores and another 1 year old girl all day.  She also really likes the daycare provider (our next door neighbor) and I know she's in good hands there.   They even do preschool activities for the 4 year old girls that DD takes part in. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageKelly1109:

I voted no but here's why... 

DH was married before & has 2 kids from his previous marriage.  After the 2nd child, his ex talked him into her being a SAHM - well she ran up their credit cards, started drinking and going out at night after he came home and ended up having an affair.  So not that DH doesn't trust me and we couldn't afford for me to be at home, I know that it would stress him out more if I stayed at home even though I am the exact opposite type person as his ex. 

My husband and I make a decent amount of money at our jobs & could easily afford me staying home, but we using my salary now to put into savings.  We have increased both our 401Ks to the max contribution and are working so that we can retire early and provide nice things for our kids - this past year we bought a cabin, a 4-wheeler and a boat.  We definitely could not have done that if we didn't have my income. 

ETA - My daughter loves daycare.  Its in-home and she is around two 4 year old girls that she adores and another 1 year old girl all day.  She also really likes the daycare provider (our next door neighbor) and I know she's in good hands there.   They even do preschool activities for the 4 year old girls that DD takes part in. 

I don't see why this has anything to do with anything. And I'm kinda offended by it. I'm sorry your DH was married to a loser...but that's not what SAHMs are typically like. I feel like I'm being stereotyped as bored at home and nothing better to do than online shop, drink on the couch, and sleep around. I guess I just don't see why this was part of you answer to someone else's question....

I work really hard as a SAHM. Right now it's a bit easier because LO naps a lot. But even then I work my ass off to have a clean home, hot meals, home baked goods, budget/coupons/meal plans, etc. And when LO is a bit older I look forward to craft projects, teaching him early education (abcs, adding, etc) getting him ready for school, going to the park, playdates, etc... To imply that SAHMs are bored and get into trouble offends me heavily. I gave up my career and good social status because I think it's best for my child. Not because I want personal freedom.

(and here's where I might be flamed)...I'm super glad that some of you have found awesome daycares. I know lots of us have to work to make a living and make things work. I also know some of us choose to work to keep their sanity. However, no daycare replaces a mother's care. If I had to work...absolutely I'd be working. But to imply that sticking your child in daycare is best...I think that's insane.  

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

imagemtb21:
    I am staying home for the year and our income has been drastically reduced because of it. I feel it is 100% worth it though. DH always worries if we're doing okay, but we are. We made a budget and if we are ever not making it work financially I will go back to work earlier. But honestly, I don't see that happening. We are doing better than I expected so far with a lower income. Do you have the option of going back to with earlier if you want to, or is it all or nothing? Make a budget if you haven't already & see if his worries are legit or if you will be fine with one income.

Unfortunately, yes it would have to be an entire year.  Since I teach, they won't hire me in the middle of the year and we aren't under contract in the summer.  We are doing a budget and we can do it, but DH would still worry about not having my income.  I know that sounds odd, but that's just how he is.  We've never lived on one income before and are used to spending what we want, so this would be brand new territory for us. I do make a lot more than daycare costs so it' doesn't "cost" me to work.  It's just a matter of which is going to make us both happiest and that's what I am struggling with.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

OP I am in the same position you are.  We've looked at the numbers and it'd be tight, but doable.  It's more of a fear of the unknown at this point... I want to stay home.  I have three kids, I've worked their entire lives, I'm unhappy in my current job and think this is a good break point to regroup, figure out what I do want to do, and in the meantime be there with the kids and have the gift of time.  But my DH is like yours and is a worrier/worst case scenario type thinker...

I do know that if I had a given career like you do, I would quit in a heartbeat.  I'm mostly worried about getting back into the workforce a few years down the line.  I know eventually I could do it, but it'll be tricky. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

I think your stress level needs to be considered, too.

If you're stressed out by working and having LO in daycare, your DH (and DS) will pick up on that, and it could add to their stress levels.  I guess then you'd have to weigh if your stress is more bothersome that DH's stress over finances.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagelovemypups1:
    Honestly... If you have a great daycare program, I would work. My LO will benefit from the attention and curriculum that his daycare provides. I feel there is so many other things to do around the house that he can't possibly get all of my attention. At daycare the kids are their job. I also really enjoy having money to do as we please even after putting chunks of money into LOs bank account.

I also voted no for these reasons, and because I want us to be able to splurge when we want... buy LO a cool toy for no reason, go out to eat as a family, or take a vacation without breaking the bank.Plus living on a *budget* would definitely stress me. Even on a budget, things come up like tires and water heaters that need replacing... I would hate for something like that to throw us. 

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

(and here's where I might be flamed)...I'm super glad that some of you have found awesome daycares. I know lots of us have to work to make a living and make things work. I also know some of us choose to work to keep their sanity. However, no daycare replaces a mother's care. If I had to work...absolutely I'd be working. But to imply that sticking your child in daycare is best...I think that's insane.  

Not flaming at all, but wanted to point out I don't think there is one BEST when it comes to be a working mom vs. being SAHM... I think whats best for each family is different depending in their own situation.  SAH isn't always best just as daycare isn't always best.

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
  • Options
    I would rather my husband worry about money than have myself worry about not being with my baby. If we had the money that is. We decided to have me stay home when we realized my income was basically used for fun stuff like vacations, eating out, shopping, etc.
  • Options
    If you keep working you are the one stressed, so either way it's bad.  You could use the extra time to save on food and other bills. I would at least try if it was possible because it seems that bad for you. You could try to file for unemployment, my mom was able to collect due to daycare issues, she felt it to be unsafe and her employee wouldn't give her anymore time off.
  • Options
    Can you use the end of this school year as a trial period? Only live off DH's salary (less daycare expenses if necessary) and see how it goes/how DH handles it. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Personally, I agree with the posters commenting about your stress level and if your husband is someone who is already stressed-if it will not actually cause you to live paycheck to paycheck, I would do it, especially since its only for he first year.

I think that kids can thrive in both daycare and with a sahm. There are parents in both circles who are great parents, have clean homes and home cooked meals, and there Are parents in both circles who are the exact opposite. I think that it is incredibly important for parents to be happy as parents and their role in their child's life, be it as a sah parent or as a working parent-and this goes for moms and dads. If you can swing it, and it makes you and dh the happiest, do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagejenine482:
    If you keep working you are the one stressed, so either way it's bad.  You could use the extra time to save on food and other bills. I would at least try if it was possible because it seems that bad for you. You could try to file for unemployment, my mom was able to collect due to daycare issues, she felt it to be unsafe and her employee wouldn't give her anymore time off.

I am not going to file for unemployment when I am perfectly capable of getting a job.  I don't know how daycare allows you to collect unemployment, but to me it just sounds wrong. 

• Options
    imageKeyLime81:

I think your stress level needs to be considered, too.

If you're stressed out by working and having LO in daycare, your DH (and DS) will pick up on that, and it could add to their stress levels.  I guess then you'd have to weigh if your stress is more bothersome that DH's stress over finances.

I think this is a very good point.

I'm the exact same way as your husband. I worry a lot about our finances, even though I know we are doing fine and we have enough in savings. But I grew up in a family where money was always tight, and so it's a source of stress for me.

While I was still pregnant, we started to live just off of DH's paycheck. It helped us to really see that it was possible for me to SAH. Would it be possible for you to try living just on his paycheck for a month?

BFP#1=12/24/10 missed m/c @ 9w2d BFP#2=4/13/11 EDD 12/24/11 (coming full circle!)
    Ella born 12/21/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageBlueCards:
    Can you use the end of this school year as a trial period? Only live off DH's salary (less daycare expenses if necessary) and see how it goes/how DH handles it. 

We are "practicing" now, but I have to make a decision by May as my leave has to be approved by the school board.  I'm just so torn.  Part of me wants to work to enjoy the nice extras we can afford with my check, to provide experiences for my son that we otherwise wouldn't be able to, to save more for retirement so we can retire earlier (1 years worth of contributions can make a huge difference in 20 years), not have to worry about money, and the satisfaction I get out of what I do.

But another part of me wants to be with my son.  I don't think work is going to stress me out- I seem to be handling it pretty well right now I think.  And I don't think him going to daycare will stress me out either because I really like the place he will go.  Too bad we can't have it both ways....

• Options
    I replied to your similar post on the working moms board, and I don't really want to repeat the whole thing. In a nutshell, I wouldn't. I really thought about it when my 2 year-old was an infant. We also could get by on one income if we budgets well. Now, I'm really glad my daughters are in daycare. Part of your desire to stay home may have to do with the whole adjustment of going back to work and putting your baby in daycare. Give it time. It does get easier.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsT2008:

Same here. We both want us to stay home but we'd be living paycheck to paycheck if I did right now so I'm not. 

• Options

imageLeap08:
    I replied to your similar post on the working moms board, and I don't really want to repeat the whole thing. In a nutshell, I wouldn't. I really thought about it when my 2 year-old was an infant. We also could get by on one income if we budgets well. Now, I'm really glad my daughters are in daycare. Part of your desire to stay home may have to do with the whole adjustment of going back to work and putting your baby in daycare. Give it time. It does get easier.

Thanks.  I did read your reply there and it was very helpful.  I know I need to give it time. 

• Options
    imageiluvmylab:

If you had the chance to stay home for a year, but you knew it would cause quite a bit of stress for your DH, would you still do it?

Absolutely.  Financial ruin?  No, I would work. Financial stress?  My choice is that it is totally worth a parent home with the children.  And I put my money where my mouth is since I left a six figure salary to SAH with my little ones.  It isn't easy and we can't do the great vacations we want, or the home renovations (today I was planning our huge kitchen reno that will have to wait for a few years when I am working again).  But we are getting by and the necessities are taken care of by DHs salary.  I consider my missed salary an investment in my children.  Not everyone can do it, but if it is feasible, I do not think you will regret it for a minute.  The only hard part will be deciding to go back once the year is up.
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    I like the saying " never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life" sometimes memories are more important than money. Of course if you really need the money then you have to do what you gotta do. I'm Canadian so I get a year paid... I give full props to the American moms who go back6-12 weeks after, I Judy couldn't do it personally.. It be so hard
  • Options

You're only talking about one year right? You'd be able to get your job back no problems? That is so rare in the US. I would absolutely take them up on it as long as we could pay all bills and add at least a little bit to savings every month on DH's salary. If I had been given that option with DD1 I probably would have kept my job. I went back at 4 months and ended up quitting after several weeks.

Have you talked to your DH? Have you run the numbers? Is your DH's job stable?

I think you would regret it if you didn't do this. What's one or two years out of an entire career?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageEvenAngelsFall:

Not flaming at all, but wanted to point out I don't think there is one BEST when it comes to be a working mom vs. being SAHM... I think whats best for each family is different depending in their own situation.  SAH isn't always best just as daycare isn't always best.

Also, FWIW, putting a child in daycare is not replacing a mother's care... It is supplementing it. He will still get the best of me and the best of the life we can offer him.
  • Options

I couldn't decide, so I didn't vote! I am sure this is a tough decision.  For me, I think it would come down to how much you do or don't enjoy your job.  If you are miserable every morning leaving for work (once you've been back at least a few more weeks) then I'd take the leave.  If you like your job, and having the extra money is worth it...then I'd stay. 

I only work part time, and I landed the job in the summer.  Before that I was working FT for a partner agency.  I did joint home visits with all the people who did the job I do now....and really wanted to be in their role.  I hated my old role.  We had decided I would stay at home if this part time opportunity hadn't come up.  I like working.  As much as I love Noelle, there are some days I am really glad I get to go out and work.  I love my job.  I can see FT being really tough, though.  I worked today, and am exhausted.  I want to spend time with Noelle, but I am also relieved when she is napping.  Then at bedtime, I get bummed because I didn't get to see enough of her. 

So, I don't think I helped much.  But just wanted to say I am sorry you have to make this hard decision!

href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options
    Is it possible to do a job share?  We have a few teachers in our district that job share (both work 1/2 time in the same classroom).  I'm actually considering approaching the other Sped teacher on maternity leave right now after next year to see if she would want to job share.  She has 2 kids now, and if they can afford it I'm sure she would LOVE to be home more with her boys.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"