Stay at Home Moms

PSA: Parties should not = income.

Seriously.  Avon, tupperware, lia sophia, passion parties, mary kay...the whole gamut.

Seriously, if you're that strapped for income, just ask your friends for the money directly.  Stop draping it in the notion of "oh what a lovely party" that basically puts whomever you attend in the position of having to buy your stuff (or to feel like they have to buy your stuf).

If you have to go to your friends and family for financial support because you are that strapped for cash, FFS cut out the middle man and ask them for a handout directly.

Seriously, people. If your faith in humanity is destroyed because your parents told you there was a Santa Claus and as it turns out there is no Santa Claus, you are an ignorant, hypersensitive cry baby with absolutely zero perspective. - UnderwaterRhymes

Re: PSA: Parties should not = income.

• Meow...I see your point though. Avon ladies around here go door to door though.
  • really??

they're just sales people who happen to ask friends, along with other people.

• Loading the player...
  • um...ok. 

i actually know a few people who have made this type of thing successful and have a lot of parties every month.  and it's not just all their family and their close friends

• I know a few ladies who sell the above mentioned and it's not to their friends/family.  They wouldn't make money if they didn't expand their market base.  Plus you are not required to buy anything when you are invited to one of these parties.
  • AMEN X3!!!  I always feel obligated to buy crap I don't want or need and that's way beyond what I should be spending on something I don't want or don't need. 

Now, I don't want these people asking for handouts either but seriously, these parties are usually a drag - as a matter of fact, I'm avoiding a Southern Living party tomorrow.

• My mom has finally told all of her SILs to take her off their mailing lists because they're having at least one of these parties a weekend. They all sell makeup, candles, jewelry and who knows what else to make extra income, and then spend what little money they make on buying more overpriced junk with their "discounts," and it's the same 15 people invited every time. The only things she'll buy now are from school fundraisers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Am I the only one who knows NO ONE who sells this crap?
  • I don't know anyone who sells this stuff either.
  • If it's not something I want to buy from I just say I can't make it. I have never been invited by the same person more then once.
  • imagemerr818:
    If it's not something I want to buy from I just say I can't make it. I have never been invited by the same person more then once.

Seriously. I've never known anyone to send out invites to a birthday or a Christmas party just to spring a catalog on guests.

Lillian Annette, can't wait to meetcha! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't like to be "that" person that tries to sell their friends crap all the time.  I did become a Longaberger consultant a few years ago though.  I figures if my mom, MIL, and SIL were buying the stuff all the time, I might as well be the one selling it to them.  I don't do parties though.  Everyone knows I'm a consultant, if they want to buy something that month, they know where to find me.
  • Ummm, I actually like going to these sometimes. If I get invited and am interested, I go. If I'm not interested, I don't. Calm down.
  • I have a personal policy of never attending any of them.  And I admit that when I hear someone say she's decided to stay home, I wonder how many months I have before she hands me a catalog.
  • imagecitygirl_:
    Am I the only one who knows NO ONE who sells this crap?

?

Yes, you are definitely the only one who has classy friends. The rest of us are just people with low life friends...or maybe it's because you don't even know 200+ people.

Ok, I'm kidding with this but I couldn't resist. Citygirl, your reply to this post just sounds so condescending and that seems to be a theme in your replies.?

• imageaxr8111:

imagecitygirl_:
    Am I the only one who knows NO ONE who sells this crap?

Yes, you are definitely the only one who has classy friends. The rest of us are just people with low life friends...or maybe it's because you don't even know 200+ people.

Ok, I'm kidding with this but I couldn't resist. Citygirl, your reply to this post just sounds so condescending and that seems to be a theme in your replies. 

Take a chill pill.  You are weirding me out.

• I have to say I agree...the whole "I'm throwing a party" veil is quite see-through. It's not a party, it's a sales pitch.
  • so should realtors only work for people they do not know? Probably. .. .  they would not want to offend family members by trying to sell them something, and "take their income" Is this actually a  post?
  • Um, wth?  If someone wants to throw a party and sell stuff, let them.  If you don't want to do, then don't.  I go to these "parties" and don't buy anything a lot.  If I don't want to go, then I'm busy.

And FWIW, when it's held by one of my friends, it's always a party and we have a good time, despite what sales venture may be going on.

DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I might be lame, but I've never been to one that I didn't have a good time at....most of my friends and family serve wine...can't beat that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"