Toddlers: 24 Months+

Flying-non electronic toy suggestions

DS (2 1/2) has flown a fair amount and is generally a good flyer, that is until we have to turn off all electronics in order to land.  He's only 2 so he doesn't understand why we have to turn them off and proceeds to pitch a complete ear piercing, chair kicking fit until we land.  We're flying again in a few weeks and in an effort to spare the other passengers from the ear piercing tantrum we normally generate, I thought I would try to find a new non-electronic toy to entertain DS. 
He's our 3rd, so we've broken out all the standards we normally have (books, stickers, food, lollipops, trains, etc) with no success.    
Any suggestions on non electronic toys that might entertain a 2 1/2 year old boy for 20-30 minutes on a plane?   

Re: Flying-non electronic toy suggestions

• Have you tried the Magna-doodle type toys? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What about a box of cards or flashcards.  I brought flashcards on a flight one time thinking DS would like looking at the pictures, and he occupied himself for 20 minutes just putting the cards in and out of the box.  Or does he like puzzles?  Melissa and Doug has some travel ones that are great.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the magna-doodle type toy! We have a mini travel one, and its awesome.

Or, there are these coloring type books out, but you fill the pen with water (like an aquadoodle but its a book) and then you color in the picture and it reveals different things. Then the water evaporaites and you can do it again another time. DD has a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and an Elmo one. I've seen them at WalMart and Target.

GL.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Ditto the magnadoodle. DD plays wiht one in my car all the time. We also have a travel bag that holds crayons, has a chalkboard, and a pad of paper. If I give DD that with some stickers she can entertain herself for a good while.
    imageimage
  • DD also has one of these princess snowglobe things that she is amazed with. When the fascination with the toy wears off, the candy also keeps her quiet. https://www.vsdistributing.com/products/Disney-Princess-Snow-Globe-with-Candy-Crowns-(B1G1F).html   I woud think the would also make other Disney characters that are more geared towards the non-princess crowd.
    imageimage
  • We fly a lot as well. I bring a little container of play dough. If it's during the time when the tray has to be up, just use a magazine or something to play on. It works great for my son who's almost 2. We also always bring a new little train or truck that he hasn't seen before (wrapped like a present) and tell him that when the wheels go down he can open it. He listens for the wheels and then opens it. The suspense and listened keeps him really occupied and then the toy keeps him happy the rent of the time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"