Parenting
Options

What is on you kids chore/responsibility chart

DS wants to make charts so I am coming up with one. No whining, no fighting (with me or DD), no teasing, reading, put clothes in hamper.   Other ideas?
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: What is on you kids chore/responsibility chart

• Options

DS has had one for about 8 months, and I wil say that it's easier to have a task than a "no" activity. For all of his, he is expected to do it without whining or arguing. If he does, he gets a sticker. If he whines, tantrums, or argues, he sitll has to do it, but no sticker.

His chart has get dressed, brush teeth, use potty, take shower, put on shoes and coat, get in the car, clean up toys, etc. Basically everything that he has to do in the morning or at night. I did put a "No interrupting" on there, but that's most when I'm on the phone. There's also one for playing alone downstairs since he NEVER wants to do this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageaugust06mom:

DS has had one for about 8 months, and I wil say that it's easier to have a task than a "no" activity. For all of his, he is expected to do it without whining or arguing. If he does, he gets a sticker. If he whines, tantrums, or argues, he sitll has to do it, but no sticker.

His chart has get dressed, brush teeth, use potty, take shower, put on shoes and coat, get in the car, clean up toys, etc. Basically everything that he has to do in the morning or at night. I did put a "No interrupting" on there, but that's most when I'm on the phone. There's also one for playing alone downstairs since he NEVER wants to do this.

Thank and makes s?ance. The whining around here is usually about little things, like needing help going sething that he is choosing to do, not something I make h do, but I will set the expectations you states. And change some.  

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't do a chart b/c I suck at filling it out. Embarrassed We have a marble jar and they earn marbles for doing what they're asked the 1st time w/no nagging, for doing things w/o being asked, for being unexpectedly kind and caring, etc.  Sometimes I will chose to highlight a behavior that we're working on (for DD, it's always staying in bed and not calling for mom after I say goodnight). Each marble is worth $0.25 and they can convert their marbles to money if they want to buy something like a toy.  I like the marbles b/c it helps me catch the kids doing something good and gives them positive reinforcement and sometimes when I'm at my wits end, taking away a marble seems like an appropriate thing to do (better than yelling).

DS is now 6.5 and we just instituted an allowance.  he gets $1 for being in 1st grade and he now has a special "big boy" chore to do (vacuum the kitchen floor) and I pay $0.25 per vacuum. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    We don't do a chart, but other things that the kids are responsible for are sorting their laundry, emptying the silverware from the dishwasher, setting the table, and clearing their plates from the table. I also want to teach him to be responsible for packing his backpack before bed at night, so I would add that (if I did a chart).
  • Options

It's usually best to have the chart in terms of things they should do and not things they shouldn't do (i.e., "No arguing" is something they shouldn't do whereas "Use kind words" or "Use a polite tone" is something they should do).

Just my $0.02.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"