2nd Trimester
Options

Rant... Anyone else feel the same??

Okay, so this is my first pregnancy and I am totally excited and loving pretty much every minute of it (I haven't been sick at all...knock on wood) but there is one thing that is really irking me... I work for a small business with about 7 people in the office. There are 2 other women there and I literally see them everyday and EVERY SINGLE DAY they ask to see my belly and want to chit chat about how I'm "starting to pop" or tell me its cute or whatever. The worst part is they always ask me to show them my belly. If I am wearing a dress, they want me to smooth it down so they can see and then I have to turn all different angles. If I have a sweater on, they want me to lift it to my tanktop underneath. Its just this annoying ritual of "showing" people my body and it just seems weird. I'm not an object for your viewing pleasure! Haha.And yeah, their comments are always nice and all, but seriously... EVERY DAY??? It's to the point where I find myself avoiding their offices because I'm sick of having the EXACT same conversation EVERY DAY and having to smooth my dress down or lift up my sweater to show them my belly. Its getting really annoying.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this who is getting as irritated as I am?

Note- I know they are just being nice, but don't they realize its too much??

Re: Rant... Anyone else feel the same??

• Options
    It might be that they're just not sure what to talk about with you and your pregnancy is the obvious fall back. Could you preempt the examination by having questions about their lives ready for when they show up? If you can get them started talking about themselves they may not need to feel the need to lapse into the "same old same old."
  • Options
    Story of my life here at work.. I purposely avoid people beacuase I am sick of the same old questions and comments..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why can't you say you'd rather not and that nothing has changed since yesterday? It's nice that they're excited, but I'd be putting my foot down on all the oo-ing and ahh-ing. But, that's just not my style either.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options
    Annoying. I would say something (nicely, at first anyway) about how you're uncomfortable with the constant discussion of it. I have to talk to a woman at my work to have her stop making comments like - "you don't really look pregnant yet, you just look like me" (she's nearing 70 and minimally 30+ more than I am) and "your belly isn't really round looking like my daughter's was." I need to say something soon or I'm going to lose it and freak out on her.... Sorry for the aside/post-jacking. The belly fondling is annoying and uncalled for - even as well intended as it is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'd just laugh and say "you girls are silly, nothing has changed since yesterday. gotta get back to work ;)" and then excuse yourself. Soon they will see that you are not interested in showing them daily.

And if you don't mind the attention, maybe you could even say, "hey, I don't mind showing you the changes, but seeing as nothing has changed since yesterday-- How about we do measurements on Mondays (or Fridays or whatever days...)" and then you only have to show them once a week.

And if it really bothers you, just say you're starting to get self-conscious about all the oogling and kinda wanna be viewed from afar (if ya know what i mean) and then excuse yourself back to your office.

Good luck :)

----------
    Visit The Nest!
    ----------
    "Everything happens for a reason"
    ----------
  • Options
    @ipookie8: This is pretty good advice! I hate confrontation but for some reason, your use of the word "silly" kind of makes it playful instead of akward. I might try that one. Thanks!

• Options
    imageipookie8:

I'd just laugh and say "you girls are silly, nothing has changed since yesterday. gotta get back to work ;)" and then excuse yourself. Soon they will see that you are not interested in showing them daily.

And if you don't mind the attention, maybe you could even say, "hey, I don't mind showing you the changes, but seeing as nothing has changed since yesterday-- How about we do measurements on Mondays (or Fridays or whatever days...)" and then you only have to show them once a week.

And if it really bothers you, just say you're starting to get self-conscious about all the oogling and kinda wanna be viewed from afar (if ya know what i mean) and then excuse yourself back to your office.

Good luck :)

This! A sense of humor can go a long way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I like the suggestions so far. Or you could also say something like "Oh my! He/she hasn't grown that much from yesterday!"
  • Options

Wow, that sounds really annoying! I'm a pretty modest person and that would bother me to no end. I'd try to let them know (tactfully) that their attention is making me uncomfortable.

• Options
    I would honestly not have the patience for this nonsense! It's nice to have people admire my bump and want to talk about the baby, but all that every day? No thank you! I would be avoiding their offices too!
    Pregnancy Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"