Choosing Hosp/New OBGYN- Phoenixville/Main Line — The Bump
Philadelphia Babies

Choosing Hosp/New OBGYN- Phoenixville/Main Line

Hi Everyone,

This is my first baby and I'm 34. (Due 6 weeks before I turn 35, so it's not considered "advanced maternal age"- lucky me!) Just starting my second trimester today and need some advice.

I live in Phoenixville and so P-ville Hosp is a natural choice for me to deliver. I was born there and so were most of my friends and family. My OBGYN is Valley Forge OBGYN and they deliver at Phoenixville.

Although I don't have complaints about Valley Forge OBGYN, I am slightly concerned with Phoenixville Hosp. Reviews of of the maternity ward have been lackluster and reviews of my OBGYN have also been "ok" or "fine" but nothing spectacular.

I am considering Paoli, which really SHINES in reviews. We have a tour scheduled for March 6th but want to get some opinions from others. Choosing Paoli would mean switching to another OBGYN practice. I am considering Great Valley OBGYN (it was recommended and also gets fairly good reviews).

Does anyone have any thoughts?  Changing doctors seems like a pain but it's also worth it to get really great care. Help! 

Re: Choosing Hosp/New OBGYN- Phoenixville/Main Line

• I hear you!  I had my daughter at Bryn Mawr.  Although I loved my obgyn, they do not tell you that only one person from all three practices delivers on the weekend.  Needless to say I was shocked when I got to the hospital Saturday morning and did not know the doctor and had an awful experience.  With this pregnancy, I decided I was not willing to be put in a situation like that again.  So, I switched practices and will be delivering at Paoli.  My sister-in-law had her daughter there in August and had a great experience.  I also know of a few people I know who have also delivered there and had great experiences.  Paoli does have a new maternity wing also.  I actually switched to Main Line OBGYN (they have several offices, but Berwyn is closest to me).  They were great when I had my miscarriage in the fall, especially since this was the first time I was going to them.  I have only had one other appointment with them for my 8 wk and I enjoyed my experience.  They were very nice about my 1 1/2 year old getting in the way during my u/s, etc.  Although, I am going to have to travel from Philly, I think it will be worth it in the end.  I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make.  Smile
    Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much for replying. I am taking a tour of Paoli on March 6th and I have a sneaking feeling that we're going to like that a whole lot more than Phoenixville. I've called Great Valley OBGYN several times while trying to possibly transfer medical records, etc. and they have been so nice. I don't feel rushed and they seem so detailed and helpful. (5 doctors and they all deliver. You get to meet each one between now and delivery day so you get to know them.)

Although their office is in Exton (and I'm in Phoenixville) I think the 30 minute drive will be worth it in the end. I'm glad to hear you also made a decision based on quality and not distance. In the long run, Paoli is only about 9 miles from me...which is completely fine when I am in labor.

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your deliver this time! I am sure you'll be happy at Paoli. I'll let you know how it goes. ha! 

• Loading the player...
  • Sure!  I am sorry I had no info. on Phoenixville Hospital.  That is great that you found an OBGYN that you like and that they deliver every day of the week...that is the most important thing.  I have also heard that Paoli nurses are very supportive of natural births and breastfeeding.  Not sure if you plan on doing either, but my nurse at Bryn Mawr asked why I would try to go natural.  Who says that?  And I had one nurse who was not supportive of breastfeeding and actually took my daughter and started giving her a bottle.  They did want me to suppliment in the beginning because she was under 6 lbs (full term and perfectly healthy) and they check their blood sugar levels and if it drops under a certain amount they get worried about brain damage, but she should have given me my child to give her the bottle instead of taking her and giving her the bottle herself.  She did get reprimanded for this and had to be retrained on bfing.  It is bad when the president of the hospital comes in to apologize for your experience and gives you free parking tickets and meal tickets.  Okay, enough with that, but that is why it is so important that I have a better birthing experience this time around.  I real feel that I will get that at Paoli.  Ultimately, my water broke at 6am Saturday morning, my husband and I both took showers and then we dropped our dog off at my parents on the way to the hospital.  We got there about 9:30am and around 10:30am is when the contractions started to pick up.  So I feel good that I will have plenty of time to get to the hospital before anything major starts to happen.  Definitely let me know how the tour goes!
    Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards