Babies: 0 - 3 Months

For those of you with "small" babies, how much do they eat??

My LO was born full term but weighed only 5 pounds 4 ounces, and was 19 inches long.  At her 2 month appointment 2 weeks ago she was up to 8 pounds 13.5 ounces and 21 inches long. At that time she was eating around 16-20 ounces/day.  The doctor wasn't concerned, and said she should take 21-24 ounces.

She continues to eat about 17-20 ounces per day, which doesn't seem like enough to me . . .but she seems happy and feels like she is gaining (just not sure if it is enough!).  I have tried feeding her more frequent, small feedings as well as larger feedings spread out--either way, she still won't take any more than 20 in a 24-hour period.  Any other suggestions? Am I overanalyzing this? I just think it is odd that she is on the small side since my husband and I are of average size . . .

TTC #1 since 02/09 Dx: Unexplained infertility After a hysteroscopy and D&C in 4/10, 3 rounds of Clomid (and one round of Femara for good measure), and acupuncture for 5 months, I got my first BFP after my first round of IUI with Femara and injectables. I am blessed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For those of you with "small" babies, how much do they eat??

• My son was also tiny when he was born, 5 lbs., 3 oz. He eats about eight times a day and eats anywhere from 2 - 3.5 oz o breast milk. I was concerned it wasn't enough like you, but our pediatrician said as long as he's not fussy and he continues to gain weight (which he has, he's at 7 lbs. now, yay!!) he's okay. 

I was really worried at first like you! Good luck with your little girl :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter was born at 6lbs. 4oz but dropped down to 5lbs 8oz when we left the hospital. She nurses every 2-3 hours and usually sleeps about 5 hours straight at night. She gets about 3-4 oz of breast milk per feeding (thats what I get out when I pump anyways). She is nearing 8lbs now.

Does your doctor offer free weight checks?  If so, I would bring her in once a week to see how much weight she is gaining. It will give you peace of mind to know that she is gaining. If she's not, then you can ask the doctor then if he has any other suggestions. GL!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Carter 5.25.10   Charlotte 2.6.12   Baby#3 5.17.15
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO wasn't small when he was born, but now is pretty small...it makes sense though, I am only 5 feet myself. 

Anyways, my LO only has 24-25oz. a day.  He has  added solids twice a day, but he's never been able to eat more than 25oz.  As long as your LO is growing at each Dr. visit and your Dr. isn't concerned, everything is fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine was 5 1/2 pounds. Was up to 6 after 2 weeks in NICU-she wasn't preemie-just had some skin issues.

She eats between 20-24. She is 11 weeks and hasn't eaten much more in the past 3 weeks. But she was almost 10 pounds at 9 weeks so I know she is gaining. She just can't eat more than 4-5 ounces and eats only 5 times a day. She takes over an hour for each bottle.

I'll see what she weighs at 3 months but not very concerned.

• DD was born 4lb 12oz 17.5in...She is now 8lbs 9oz and 21inches long. She eats 3-4oz every 2-3hrs.
  • Mine was 5lb8oz at birth, and 5lb when we left the hospital.

He was 10lb at 8 weeks. He's now 13 weeks, and eats around 3-4oz of pumped milk every 3 ish hours at daycare. At night he eats at 8pm then not until 2 or 3am. Then again before we leave the house at 7am

• My DD was 5lb 13oz at birth and is now taking 3-4oz of BM every 2-4 hours. If I give her 4oz she usually lasts longer than when I give her 3oz (duh). She was 7lb 2oz last week at her checkup! 

DD 1.18.2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"