April 2012 Moms

going in for a "version"

Went to doctor today at 35 weeks 5 days and my sweet little girl is still traverse.  They did an ultrasound and the fluid levels are still good, and they estimate she weighs 5.5 pounds.  I go in for version next Thursday, I will be in labor and delivery hooked up to an IV and the doctor said he would watch her on the ultrasound just to make sure nothing goes wrong.  Has anyone ever had a version?? 

Re: going in for a "version"

• I'm a FTM so I don't have any advice or experience with the external version... but have you done anything to try to get her to flip on her own? I've heard acupuncture can be really helpful and the website spinningbabies.com has a lot of tips. Good luck! I hope she decides to turn so you won't need the procedure. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not saying that April Bumpies don't have experience with this, but the natural birth board would be a good place for suport as well. Hope it goes well!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAshleyC0117:
    I'm a FTM so I don't have any advice or experience with the external version... but have you done anything to try to get her to flip on her own? I've heard acupuncture can be really helpful and the website spinningbabies.com has a lot of tips. Good luck! I hope she decides to turn so you won't need the procedure. 
    This or the Webster technique done by a chiropractor. Please let us know how it goes. My LO is transverse as well.
  • I have tried the exercises on spinningbabies.com with no such luck, I will check out natural birth board, thanks!!!  Accupunture is a good idea!!!
  • I had one with my DS1. But he was full on breech. I went for mine at 37 weeks 4 days. Same thing, went to l&d was monitored for about an hour before we started. I got a shot of terbutaline to settle my uterus down. Doctor came in and did an ultrasound to make sure he was still breech, then he lubed up my belly and started. He put one hand on baby's head, and one on his butt and started to spin him. I didn't get any pain meds (but have heard some hospitals offer something). It was pretty painful, I wont' lie. I cried. But I almost think it was more uncomfortable, the whole baby spinning thing. My DS got halfway around and the doctor stopped to check his position and he flipped right back into the breech position. He then tried again, and baby did the same thing. So we stopped. I was monitored for an hour or two afterwards to make sure the baby was okay, and then released. The next day I felt kind of like I was in a car accident, a little sore. I took some tylenol and went about my day. I had a scheduled c/s with him the next week (this was 6 years ago and they delivered babies via scheduled c/s at 38wks, now they wait until 39!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Thank you "luvmy2sons" that sounds exactly what my doctor told me would happen.  He did say no pain meds because I need to be able to tell him what I felt was going on.  I appreciate you telling me what the expect the next day.  He did say that he would schedule a c-section at 38 weeks if she would not move.
  • imageLuvmy2sons:
    I had one with my DS1. But he was full on breech. I went for mine at 37 weeks 4 days. Same thing, went to l&d was monitored for about an hour before we started. I got a shot of terbutaline to settle my uterus down. Doctor came in and did an ultrasound to make sure he was still breech, then he lubed up my belly and started. He put one hand on baby's head, and one on his butt and started to spin him. I didn't get any pain meds (but have heard some hospitals offer something). It was pretty painful, I wont' lie. I cried. But I almost think it was more uncomfortable, the whole baby spinning thing. My DS got halfway around and the doctor stopped to check his position and he flipped right back into the breech position. He then tried again, and baby did the same thing. So we stopped. I was monitored for an hour or two afterwards to make sure the baby was okay, and then released. The next day I felt kind of like I was in a car accident, a little sore. I took some tylenol and went about my day. I had a scheduled c/s with him the next week (this was 6 years ago and they delivered babies via scheduled c/s at 38wks, now they wait until 39!)

Wow this sounds crucial. I am on edge, at my last appointment(34w5d) my Dr. couldn't figure out my LO's position from the outside. So I have an ultrasound scheduled for March 15 (I'll be 37w4d) to determine position and then "go from there" as my Dr. put it. 

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemkwt:
    Thank you "luvmy2sons" that sounds exactly what my doctor told me would happen.  He did say no pain meds because I need to be able to tell him what I felt was going on.  I appreciate you telling me what the expect the next day.  He did say that he would schedule a c-section at 38 weeks if she would not move.

You're welcome! I am happy to share my experience. When I had it, I felt like no one had one and I couldn't get real life experience. If you have any other questions or concerns page me! I will gladly answer whatever I can.

• Let me add this. I thought the version was painful. But it was NOTHING like transition in my labor with my DS2. It's a different type of "pain", more uncomfortable. I mean, he's trying to manipulate a 7lb baby from the outside, so it should be! And if I had the choice, I would do it all over again.

• Someone on the Natural Birth board recently had one (that worked), and then had a home birth with her 10lb 10oz baby.

A lot of people say they're scared of the pain of getting it done, but I figure you may as well try because the alternative is a c-section which isn't exactly pain free in itself (plus then if it does work, you're able to birth vaginally and not deal with VBACing in the future, etc). 

My LO was head down at 31w5d weeks and then was found to be breech at another ultrasound I had just a few days later. We're checking on him next week to see what position he is in, and then we'll get serious about making a plan to get him to flip. I've been doing a couple things from Spinning Babies and crossing my fingers.

Good luck, OP! I hope it works! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"