Upstate NY Babies
Options

Pinterest = Napster?

So I saw this link posted on a photography board I read:

https://ddkportraits.com/2012/02/why-i-tearfully-deleted-my-pinterest-inspiration-boards/

Basically, some pro photographers are mad that people pin their work. So a photographer/lawyer looks at Pinterest and heir Terms of Use and gives her opinion...

She uses the Napster analogy and I am starting to think that maybe Pinterest might be a little bit of copyright infringment ... esp. because I tend not to pin things on my own, just repin what I see on the Pinterest App on my phone - I cant even guarantee that my pins trace back to proper sources.

Anyways, I am really starting to consider deleting my pinterest account and/or just my photo pinboards.

Re: Pinterest = Napster?

• Options
    Yep. It's a *little different because people put photos up for the public to see online. But they don't necessarily give permission for that photo to be posted elsewhere. Pinterest will be changing things soon I bet. Thing is- no one is complaining because Pinterest is a big marketing tool that benefits SEO and increases traffic to your site.
  • Options
    I don't see the problem. Pinterest itself links back to the site it was posted from. If that site doesn't credit the photog properly, then its the problem of that website.. not pinterest.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not really- say some weirdo pinned lots of slutty stuff or something and included a pic off my website of my daughter at the beach. Yes, I approved of my kids pic to be on my site - but not that Pinterest board. It's what you get for posting a photo online- its public. But people are saying that they should have rights to what site it is on. The issue isn't so much about giving credit
  • Options

Not always... look at this pin I have on my photography inspiration board:

https://pinterest.com/pin/73253931408451268/

The original link is someone's blog, and she clearly states that she doesnt know who the photo credit belongs to..

• Options

imageTelyco:
    Not really- say some weirdo pinned lots of slutty stuff or something and included a pic off my website of my daughter at the beach. Yes, I approved of my kids pic to be on my site - but not that Pinterest board. It's what you get for posting a photo online- its public. But people are saying that they should have rights to what site it is on. The issue isn't so much about giving credit

How is it any different than google, or any other website in the world? You can link or post a photo from any website on any other website/message board.. If I posted a pic of your kids that i found on your website here, there would not be any legal reprecussions.. its not like i'm claiming it to my photo or my kids..

And in the example you posted Tori, again, that is the problem of the blog that posted it without credit, not pinterest, pinterest always lists what website it came from.. 

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options

for the record - I don't really care either way...I'm just telling you what "they" are saying. I think if you put something up online..you lose your rights to it. The internet is public.

Anyway - "they" are saying that pinterest is a site specifically designed to do this, so they are at the top of the list. The other sites are wrong too. I think that article talks about how the supreme court just ruled that google can only use thumbnails or something because thumnails aren't the same thing (totally paraphrasing)

the point is that there COULD be legal reprocussions of you posting a pic of my kids here. I could sue you and I would win. That is my photo.

Pinterest gives a format for people to take other people's photos but then says in their fine print "using our site may be copyright infringment and you may be sued...but WE can't be sued because we say so" kwim?

• Options

But the pin is of the photo... so I am using that photo without giving credit, as is the blog... so theoretically, the photographer could sue, Pinterest, the blog and me... although Pinterest has the disclaimer say I am responsible for my own pins...

.... but its sort of like Napster was in the day... I would download a song, let people download my songs, and no one was profitting from it, but a whole bunch of people got sued, including 12 year old kids... and the same arguments apply to Pinterest now, as applied to Napster then - More exposure for an artist! No one is profiting! Etc...

... I am a big fan of pinterest overall... but I think this is a REAL big gray area.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"