Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Over supply?

DD was in the NICU for the first week and a half of her life so I got on a pumping schedule of pumping both sides every three hours and during the night once. My supply was great and I would routinely get 6-8oz from both sides.  But since we've brought DD home, my boobs haven't gotten used to the one side thing and I'm in serious pain from the awful engorgement. DD is only nursing for about ten minutes and then she pops off and won't eat any more. I can't lay on my side because my boobs are so painful. Her poops as of right now are still yellow and seedy; and she isn't actively spitting up a lot- she is easy to burp and a very pleasant baby but my boobs are in so much pain. How can I get rid of my oversupply? I know you aren't supposed to pump but oh man- I want too. I'm worried about getting mastitis or something since my breasts never feel fully emptied. Anyone have any ideas/help?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Over supply?

• Options

You can hand express or pump just enough to relieve the pain.  Your supply should regulate to just what LO needs in a short time here.  You can also block feed where you feed LO from the same side for 2-3 feedings in a row and then switch sides. 

https://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html 

I also have an oversupply and have been block feeding and it seems to be helping.  Unfortunately I still have an overactive letdown, so we're still dealing with that. 

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    I had this problem in the hospital. The nurse told me to only pump if I was trying to get a supply frozen or if baby was having a hard time latching and to only pump enough to relieve it a little so she could latch easier. They also had me put ice packs on them for a couple of minutes every so often. After a few days my supply was back to normal and I can actually go a few hours without being engorged or in pain. Your body will just need a little time to adjust to your LOs feeding schedule instead of your pumping schedule. FWIW my LO only eats about 10 min at a time and on one side only. I started out with switching sides after 5 minutes and then once my supply got back to normal I started feeding her on one side only. HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"