Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Someone anyone help me!

Ok A little backround for you guys because I don't post often. My son Adrian he is now almost 13 months.

He had milk protein sensitivity (different from allergy). Anyways. He is was on Alimentum for about 10 months. The pedi suggested that we gradually wean him onto regular Similac Advance before onto whole cow's milk.

The wean onto Advance was fine. He handled it well. Only slight bowel changes. He was on that for about 1 month. Then it came time to try whole cow's milk. The instant I gave him whole milk the diarrhea started right back up just as bad as it did when he was an infant. :o(. Anyways, of course I called my pedi right away and they suggested to try Lactaid. I did that night try it. There was some inprovement for about 2 days and then right back to litterally $hit!

Fast forward a little bit. He had his one year check up last night. We discussed his options. She suggested soy, which i'm very very hesitant to try, I've read awful things. (Horomones etc.) So she said to put him back on the the Similac Advance. So i'm thinking awesome great that will  solve all our issues. Well it did untill I called the w.i.c office and they told me there is no way for them to issue him that. They even tried a state override and it couldn't be done. Due to his age (13 Months almost). w.i.c told me the only other choice is to put him back onto Alimentum or try full out Vita D cow's milk again to see if he's ready?

I DO NOT want to see my lil man miserable anymore. And being honest I cannot afford to buy his formula totally out of pocket. Are there any other options here? Why did he tolerate regular (milk based) formula and not Vita D cow's? I'm so confused and really upset. Any advice or input please?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Someone anyone help me!

• Could he have an allergy to carageenan?  It's something they put in a lot of dairy and a LOT of people are allergic.  I think it's a form of seaweed or something.  I wonder if it's in the milk. 

Don't they have stage 2 formula--I wonder if they would give that??  Otherwise I would just stick with Alimentum.  At least he's getting all his nutrients.  We are on that right now for DS2 and I know that come 12months--when given the choice of soy vs rice milk I'll probably go with the Alimentum for a few more months.  There's just "more" in it.

I agree--stay away from soy.  If you do anything--try rice milk for a bit--make sure whatever you choose it's enriched though.

• imagesmiling76:

Could he have an allergy to carageenan?  It's something they put in a lot of dairy and a LOT of people are allergic.  I think it's a form of seaweed or something.  I wonder if it's in the milk. 

Don't they have stage 2 formula--I wonder if they would give that??  Otherwise I would just stick with Alimentum.  At least he's getting all his nutrients.  We are on that right now for DS2 and I know that come 12months--when given the choice of soy vs rice milk I'll probably go with the Alimentum for a few more months.  There's just "more" in it.

I agree--stay away from soy.  If you do anything--try rice milk for a bit--make sure whatever you choose it's enriched though.

I asked about that formula.. The Go&Grow I think it's called. They as well do not cover that. This all is just very annoying.

I've heard so much about soy the last few years and, now that soy was a real possibility for him I researched more and that made me MORE AWARE of all the crap it is.

I thought about Almond or Rice but they seem to be missing key things even the fortified. Like protien and such!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! sorry I just needed to let that out. I feel like crying! My subconcious is telling me I souldn't put him back on formula because thats a step back. But, my poor guy cannot keep up like this!

• Loading the player...
  • Did you try mixing formula and cow's milk?  I'm sure you have. But don't think of putting him back on formula is taking steps backward.  He just needs more time. He'll be fine. 
  • My DS has similar problems. He could handle regular formula just fine, but vitamin D milk gives him HORRIBLE diaper rash. His entire bum gets bright red. I've been giving him almond milk and making sure he gets plenty of nutrients in his diet. I'm going to ask his pedi about taking vitamins to make up for what he's not getting from the milk.

I hope you can figure something out!

• Lactaid is not going to work for a baby that is milk protein intolerant, as it still has milk proteins. I know how WIC is, and they won't give you anything other than Cow's milk, or Soy after 1 year. (Which really sucks for kids with MSPI)

My son is milk protein intolerant, and as of now I intend on giving him soy, and coconut milk, so he isn't getting too much of either, KWIM? Coconut milk is fatty, like cow's milk, and is supposed to be a reasonable alternative.

From what I understand the phytoestrogen in soy milk doesn't cause any problems, but the studies on it aren't too extensive... From wikipedia :Phytoestrogen

Main article: Phytoestrogens

Soybeans contain isoflavones called genistein and daidzein, which are one source of phytoestrogens in the human diet. Because most naturally occurring estrogenic substances show weak activity, normal consumption of foods that contain these phytoestrogens should not provide sufficient amounts to elicit a physiological response in humans.[107]

Plant lignans associated with high fiber foods such as cereal brans and beans are the principal precursor to mammalian lignans which have an ability to bind to human estrogen sites. Soybeans are a significant source of mammalian lignan precursor secoisolariciresinol containing 13?273 ?g/100 g dry weight.[108] Another phytoestrogen in the human diet with estrogen activity is coumestans, which are found in beans, split-peas, with the best sources being alfalfa, clover, and soybean sprouts. Coumestrol, an isoflavone coumarin derivative is the only coumestan in foods.[109][110]

Soybeans and processed soy foods are among the richest foods in total phytoestrogens (wet basis per 100g), which are present primarily in the form of the isoflavones daidzein and genistein.[111]

Men

Because of the phytoestrogen content, some studies have suggested that soybean ingestion will influence (negatively) testosterone levels in men. However, a 2010 meta-analysis of 15 placebo controlled groups showed that soy foods and isoflavone supplements had no effects on testosterone, SHBG or free testosterone levels.[119] Furthermore, soy consumption has been shown to have no effect on the levels and quality of sperm.[120] It has been hypothesized that soy foods and enterolactone may increase the development of prostate cancer but a 2009 meta-analysis of the research on the association between soy consumption and prostate cancer risk in men concluded that "consumption of soy foods is associated with a reduction in prostate cancer & prostate enlargement risk in men."[121]

• Have you tried plain almond milk? It is superior to soy from a health standpoint and is much easier on your stomach. I suffer from IBS so this is what I live on they also make almond milk cheese.
  • Is almond milk an option?  How does LO do with cheese and yogurt?  A lot of times those are better tolerated because they are more broken down.  You could try to get a lof the dairy needs from those...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"