Late Term and Child Loss

Anyone who had a SCH during pregnancy...

My SCH is probably what led to my complications with my most recent loss. It was situated on my right side, right near where the placenta was. I still periodically have sensation on that side, similar to what I had at times while I was still pregnant. At my 6 week pp checkup, my OB said I didn't have any retained placenta, so he couldn't really explain my feelings, except that maybe it was ovulation pain (its not). It doesn't feel painful, just sensation, I guess. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like this.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption

Re: Anyone who had a SCH during pregnancy...

• I had an SCH, and actually, I have a sensation of something 'there', but I know that I have a fibroid (which is not going into the uterine cavity), so I've been blaming it on that. During the pregnancy I could swear that it got sort of 'hard', like I could feel it tightening, but they never saw anything on u/s. I still don't have a clear answer on what that was. I don't think it was related to my SCH though, but who knows.

Not sure if that helped you! 

Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
    Early loss 10/08
    Lap 1/09
    IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
    Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
    Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
    IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
    IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
    IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
    One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
    DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
    DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
    10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
    DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
    2 frosties but don't know what's next
    FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!
  • I had more than 1 SCH during my last pregnancy and had a large 1 in my first.  There isn't really a "sensation" for me, its more of a cramping on the lower right side just above my pelvis.  I had this same feeling during the pregnancy and it is defdinitely not O pain either.... When I complained of this "pain", I was told it was more then likely growing pains... Well, I am not growing anymore and it hasn't stopped.

I haven't discussed this with my doctor yet, but I may if my current spotting doesn't end.  The spotting seems to go along with the crampy feeling.  It is weird.

Our baby boy,Logan, was born still at 19w3d on 7/1/2011
    Our 2nd baby boy, Mason, was born still at 20w3d on 1/31/2012

After a much needed sanity break... we are praying for our rainbows

((BFP 7/29/13))  ((EDD 4/12/14))  It's BOY/GIRL twins!!!

• Loading the player...
  • figgs--that is interesting to hear. My OB kind of blew me off when I mentioned it, so I didn't know if I am just crazy or what. I haven't had any spotting with it, it just concerns me and I wonder if I just haven't healed all the way from L&D or if a SCH could cause damage to my uterus, since mine was very large, 9 cm when I was 9 weeks.
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • imageMjmksb04:
    figgs--that is interesting to hear. My OB kind of blew me off when I mentioned it, so I didn't know if I am just crazy or what. I haven't had any spotting with it, it just concerns me and I wonder if I just haven't healed all the way from L&D or if a SCH could cause damage to my uterus, since mine was very large, 9 cm when I was 9 weeks.

The crampiness started about a week prior to my pPROM.  During my 1st pregnancy, I had a large SCH too.  If I remember correctly, it started around 7 weeks, was about 8 cm, I never bleed from it and it dissolved by 13 weeks.  The 2nd pregnancy, my SCHs started to appear around 15 and 17 weeks and were much smaller.  I never asked the specific size, because I didn't want to know.  Things were already stressful for me so I didn't want to add to it.

I never actually thought about damage to the uterus.....I could understand that concept with an abruption, but a clot should have either bleed out, came out with the delivery, or reabsorbed (IMO anyway).  I haven't heard of scar tissue from SCH either.

The healing is definitely a possibility though. Everyone heals at different rates. If it still feels weird, I would call again.  Is there another doctor you could speak with? 

• And one other thing... I just saw your siggy for your 2nd angel.  This is exactly how my 1st loss came about.  At 16 weeks, I barely had any fluid and did not have a rupture.  At 19 weeks, the fluid almost nonexistent.  We were told the baby had renal problems and would have to terminate the pregnancy.  The next day, my membranes ruptured on its own and we were forced to induce immediately. 

It makes me wonder about the large SCH we both had in the 1st trimester.

• imagefiggs0831:

And one other thing... I just saw your siggy for your 2nd angel.  This is exactly how my 1st loss came about.  At 16 weeks, I barely had any fluid and did not have a rupture.  At 19 weeks, the fluid almost nonexistent.  We were told the baby had renal problems and would have to terminate the pregnancy.  The next day, my membranes ruptured on its own and we were forced to induce immediately. 

It makes me wonder about the large SCH we both had in the 1st trimester.

Basically my second loss, since I didn't have a rupture, the baby didn't have renal failure and had functioning kidneys and bladder (the ultrasound showed urine in her bladder, but I admittedly have not received the autopsy report) and as far as I know, I had no infection, the MFM doctor said that the two bleeding episodes I had could be more accurately characterized as abruptions. Even though there wasn't necessarily evidence the loss of amniotic fluid was caused by an abruption (its hard to explain how he worded it, I was in a fog during this whole experience, so I apologize if that seems to make no sense). He seemed to think the SCH was what either directly or indirectly caused my loss. Based on the lack of movement of my DD, I have reason to believe that I lost fluid as early as 18 weeks, and probably more like 14 weeks, after my second bleeding episode. I have mixed feelings about how my OB handled it because I specifically asked him about the sensation I had on my left side at my 18 week appointment because I thought it was the baby, but he showed me where the baby was and as it turns out, the sensations on that side were where the placenta/SCH were. Sorry to get off track, I just went off on a tangent. It is nice to talk to someone else who dealt with similar issues, since I have found hardly any info online about my second loss.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"