July 2012 Moms
Options

job interview tomorrow

In just over an hour, I have my anatomy scan!  And then I get to come home and try to finish prepping for a job interview tomorrow. 

I'm 19 weeks exactly tomorrow, and the people at my current job that I've told have said they noticed my belly getting bigger and kind of thought I might be pregnant, but I don't know if I should directly mention the pregnancy at my interview or not.  I definitely will if they offer me the job... And then at at the same time, it's a late afternoon interview, so my belly may tell them whether I say anything or not.  (I get bumpier as the day progresses.)  I looked it up and am not legally obliged to say anything, but I'm worried not mentioning it when I've got a bump will give them a bad impression.

Re: job interview tomorrow

• Options
    I would mention it if offered the job.
  • Options

I personally would wait until a job offer comes through... I would make sure and tell them before I accepted the position so we could come to an agreement on terms.

Good Luck at the A/S and the interview :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My best friend interviewed at 20 weeks.  She didn't mention it until she was offered the job and they didn't have a problem with it.

ETA:  Good luck!

Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 17

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Good luck at the interview!

Don't say anything until you are offered a job. It isn't dishonest to "ignore it" during the interview, and any HR interviewer worth their salt will actually prefer it if you don't talk about it. Employers are legally prohibited from asking about it and using it to make hiring decisions, so if you bring it up, it might make them really uncomfortable. Don't go there.

• Options
    I was just going to ask that same question.  I have an interview tomorrow and was worried what to say or do about my belly. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PPs who said to mention your pregnancy when you get an offer. However, employers are permitted to ask if you would require special accommodation to do the job as described, so if the job you're interviewing for involves moving heavy objects, all-day standing, etc, it may come up. Good luck!
  • Options

I interviewed for a new position at 20 weeks and was well past the point of hiding anything. I'm all belly. I mentioned it then because it fit with the flow of conversation, talking about training and how long I would stay at my current job, etc. The interviewer said he appreciated me letting him know and I was offered the job yesterday.

I'm in a special situation though. I'll stay at my current job while I'm training for my new one. I'll be done with the training just about the time the baby's born and then I'll be able to take my last paycheck and severance pay from my current job to live off of for a couple months before I start my next job full-time. So it just worked out for me and won't be an issue that I'm pregnant and plan to take time off. 

My point is, I mentioned it during the actual interview and was still offered a job. However, if it hadn't come up naturally in the conversation, I probably wouldn't have said anything. It depends on you, your bump and your interviewer. Play it by ear.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh, and good luck at both your a/s and interview!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.  The anatomy scan went really well, so now I just have to focus and finish prepping for the interview...instead of woolgathering about names and cute onesies.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"