Breastfeeding

Refluxers with swallowing issues

Hi all!

My DD - like my DS did - has silent reflux with swallow issues confirmed by a swallow study.  There is a lot of gagging and choking with each feed and while she sleeps and there is likely some aspiration (my DS choked less and did aspirate).  Since she's not had respiratory infections my pedi is comfortable to allow me to continue BFing but has us thickening the bottles she takes at daycare. 

I've been back to work only two days and know its early to worry but she's only able to take 2 -3 ounces at 15 - 20 minutes per ounce and only eats three times while there.  Meanwhile, I'm pumping 15 ounces each day at work (3x per day).

Could they be suggesting her feeds be too thick.  Shes working so hard to drink I wonder if she is burning more calories than she is consuming. We have an appt with our pedi tomorrow and I'll ask but was wondering what the rest of you may have experienced with your LOs and if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!

Edit: DD is on Prevacid, which has improved things.

Succes after IF - DXN PCOS 2008 Surpise BFP 7/2009 Baby B was born 2/2010 Baby A is on her way; surprise! Due 2/2012 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Refluxers with swallowing issues

• I have a friend that has been through hell and back with her reflux baby - she has had several lung infections. Her doctors have not stopped her from breastfeeding directly, though, and there are no thickened bottles. It's been managed with medication.

I read a study today that suggests lip/tongue ties are also contributors to these issues in some cases: https://www.kiddsteeth.com/articles/aerophagia_2011.pdf

• imagetokenhoser:

I have a friend that has been through hell and back with her reflux baby - she has had several lung infections. Her doctors have not stopped her from breastfeeding directly, though, and there are no thickened bottles. It's been managed with medication.

I read a study today that suggests lip/tongue ties are also contributors to these issues in some cases: https://www.kiddsteeth.com/articles/aerophagia_2011.pdf

Thanks for the reference, this is something to look further into.  My DD is on Prevacid, which has improved things.  I'm hoping it helps damaged tissue to heal and improves her timing issues with swallowing.

Succes after IF - DXN PCOS 2008 Surpise BFP 7/2009 Baby B was born 2/2010 Baby A is on her way; surprise! Due 2/2012 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"