July 2012 Moms
Options

MIL nonexistant

I read where most people complain about MILs intruding or causing havoc on pregnancies with their 2 cents of how the child should be raised, named, etc. My "MIL" is nonexistant. She has never once called/emailed/texted me to see how I or her grandbaby are doing.  I am almost 20 weeks along and...nothing. This is the first baby for her oldest son, as well as for me. I brought this up to the baby daddy and he said that maybe "I" should be the one to call her and let her know what's going on with the baby.  Am I crazy for thinking this is ridiculous?  Does anyone else have a MIL who seems to care less about you or your baby?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MIL nonexistant

• Options
    My MIL doesn't call or email me either. She was so happy when we told them because my husband is her oldest and I know she's hoping for a grandson. I think she asks my husband how I'm doing sometimes when they chat online, but I haven't heard from her myself. Luckily my mom and stepmom seem to care.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yes, I can relate. My own middle sister has yet to call and ask how I am doing. Honestly, she's a horse's ass. My MIL (and other ILs really) suck as well. I would just try to focus on the positive people in your life. My Mom, other sister, co-workers, friends, other ILs and family have been great. I try not to let the short-comings of a few, bring me down.
    Together Together, 9-23-06. Little Girl is Here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Mine does too, but I'm actually ok with that. When we told her I was pg she said it would be ok to go out drinking because when she was pg with DH she did. In fact, she was certain he was drunk with her a couple times. It led me to find this:

She hasn't called or anything since we let her know, DH called when we found out the gender and it seemed she could care less. My opinion, if she doesn't want to be involved, my parents will give LO enough love for both sets of Grandparents. Sorry about yours making you feel bad though, it's not your responsibility to keep everyone involved. You have enough on your plate with growing a baby. Smile Good luck.

Even a minor event in the life of a child is an event of that child's world and thus a world event.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I dont think you are crazy for feeling like she should call you..but maybe you should call her and fill her in once or twice and see if that spikes some interest on her part?

Im sure she does care about you and her unborn grandchild! Are you and your MIL close to begin with? GL

• Options
    My MIL is the same way but I try to always look at it in a positive light.  At least she isn't consistently nagging me or telling me that everything I use or eat is bad for the baby.  My MIL already has two grandchildren by my husbands sister, so this one apparently isn't very exciting for her.  It does seem like your MIL would want to be more involved as this is her first grandchild, but it does give you some freedom to pick names, nursery items ect without her constant opinion and offending her if you do not agree with what she wants.   So try to tell yourself an absentie MIL this isn't totally a bad thing!!
  • Options

My family is the definition of Nonexistant!!!!  My oldest sister has yet to talk to me.  The last time I talked to her was at my wedding when she said she had to leave(immediatley after the ceremony--In the line congratualating us) and that was over 7 months ago.  I told her I was pregnant and she didn't really say anything.  My mother also doesn't ever call me either. I go months without talking to her. 

Luckily, My MIL is the best. Always calls and texts to check up on me.

Good Luck with it!

• Options

My MIL doesn't like me at all. Did not communicate at all about the wedding; pretended to be okay with it. Very cold and polite. Same thing with the baby. We called today to tell her the sex of the baby and she was polite but not excited. It's her first grandchild.

MIL is kind of immature and selfish and I think she likes it when things focus on her or her daughter.  I think she feels I've taken her son from her. I wish my mom were alive so that my kid could have a nice grandparent (my dad isn't in the picture).

Agree that even a cold MIL is better than one who is in your face judging you all the time.  

• Options
    My MIL doesn't keep up with her kids at all. She got remarried and had two more and never keeps up with DH or his older sister. She didn't even come see my SIL when she gave birth and has only seen my niece twice in 6 years. It just makes me sad because my mom passed away so our daughter will not have any grandmas. I just focus on the 3 supportive grandpas that she will have. I would say, if she doesn't make an effort, I wouldnt waste my time. 

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    My soon to be MIL asked my DB when he talks to her. Honeslty I'm kinda glad she doesnt call me, she tends to be a little obsessive when she cant get people on the phone and I dont deal well with all of that.
    BabyName Tickereditbaby Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My MIL doesn't normally call me but she and DH do talk at least once a week. I will call her every so often to update her on the baby, anything going on, etc. I also email baby updates to her, DH's aunt (her sis), my SIL, etc. after any significant appts. It's an easy way to keep in touch and they've told me that they love getting the emails.

Dh's mom is just super laid back so it doesn't phase me at all. She will do anything you ask of her, happily, but she keeps herself really busy so she doesn't "need" us as the focus of her life.

• Options

I am sorry!  It would be strange to me too to have to call someone in hopes I could maybe get them to be interested.  I had what I considered a big appointment where we find out the gender and mine never even asked about it.  I had told her about it too. 

imagemelanieanna:

My oldest sister has yet to talk to me.  I told her I was pregnant and she didn't really say anything.  

Same here.  
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. My MIL is my husband's step-mother. She never had kids of her own (they married after my husband was grown), but she thinks she's the ultimate authority on how to raise kids. When DH and I told her about the pregnancy, she half-jokingly said "Not my problem" and then pointed out that I would be gigantic the next time that she sees me. She said it in a really rude way. I said to her, "I hope so. That's what happens during a normal pregnancy." She hasn't called since then, and it's been 12 weeks. Actually, I'm glad she's keeping her distance :)
  • Options
    My MIL would ask my husband about me and the baby until she found out it was another girl. It is very upsetting that she would behave this way, but I shouldn't let it bother me. She is a very self centered person and if she doesn't get what she wants she pouts. As if we had control over this and did it to her on purpose. I understand that she is disappointed, but it is a miracle that she is even getting a second grandchild. My DH is an only child, so what we have is what she gets.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have not spoken to my MIL in about 2 years.  She does not accept my daughter or me.  We did not call to tell DH's parents when we found out the bfp.  I would love to be able to have a relationship with her but it is what it is.  My eh said until she can accept us all she will not be able to choose which grandchildren to have a relationship with.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker due in July Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    My MIL is completely involved, to a fault....which makes me crazy.  She is a "wear your emotions on your sleeve" kind of person where as I am much more private.  While I am very excited about MY baby, she always asks me why I'm not.  To her I don't seem "excited enough" apparently.  I didn't think jumping up & down in sheer joy every day was a prerequisite to pregnancy?!?!  She is thrilled for me, DH and LO as it is her first grandchild (and a boy....and they're Italian, double-bonus I suppose) however it is not as much of a blessing to have someone so interested, excited and involved.  In fact it can be a little overwhelming and sometimes I just want to literally say "just shut up!"  (Thanks to the hormones I could probably get away with it!!)  It all started when we announced the pregnancy to her & her first statement was "so, you're going to quit working now, right?"  Um....no.  I've been doing my heavy-lifting, somewhat dangerous and definitely stressful job for 20 years and being 6 weeks PG does not disqualify me!  Are you going to pay my salary?  I don't think so!!!  I'll go out of work when LO gets so big I can't lift properly and run the risk of injuring my back!  She didn't get it and asked "when are you going to quit that terrible job" every time we spoke.  Now she's debating the "no quilts, no blankets, no bumpers" thing with a crib set, among other things...like pointing out every baby, infant, PG woman, etc. that she sees when we are out & about together.  I just smile and say "oh, yup....another baby, go figure."  Seriously...could be so much worse to have a super-involved MIL!!!  Sometimes they just don't know when to quit!
  • Options

I dunno.  I think a lot of it just depends on the kind of relationship you and your DH have with your MIL.

My quasi-MIL hasn't really asked about anything, but we don't have that kind of relationship.  When we see them (about once every 2 months) they ask how I am and how things are going, but not in between that I know of. I suppose it's possible that they get info from my partner, but he doesn't really have a talk-y relationship with them either.  As far as big updates/new/decisions/etc, I figure it's our responsibility to share with the people we think it's important to share with, not their responsiblity to know they should ask.  I dunno.

It'd actually kind of freak me out if she started calling or asking about me a lot...

• Options

Is it possible she is just trying not to be intrusive?  I know my mom doesn't really ask me a whole lot about my pregnancy.  She feels that if there is something important I will tell her.  She has told myself and my sisters this.  She knows it is our life and we are free to share with her what we want to.

Having said that, there are times I wish she would ask a bit more because sometimes it feels like she doesn't care (even though I know she does).

• Options
    Seeing as you called him your "baby daddy", what kind of relationship do you have with him? Is he your bf, fiance, husband or just the baby daddy?  No judgement in any case, but if you're not in a serious relationship with him, then I would think she'd feel awkward in calling you to get updates.  As it is, my IL's call DH to get updates on how I'm doing, and I'm fine with that.  What kind of prior relationship did you have with her?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"