Pre-School and Daycare

Changing mind re activities ?

So last fall I enrolled DD in a local dance class where it was a combo ballet and tap.  She had really enjoyed dance at her daycare and we figured we'd rather spend the money somewhere she learned a bit more.  It was a great class with combo tap and ballet.  She really loved it at first but by the end of November, didn't want to go, which surprised me as I thought she loved it.  I made her finish the last two classes, including the open-house performance, but told her after that if she wanted to quit, we could.  She said she did, very adamantly, and only wanted to swim (we had just started swimming).  I told her she could do both but nope, only wanted swimming.  So I cancelled her enrollment and we've just been doing swimming since January.  I actually moved her class to an earlier time slot in February as we no longer had to jump between the two. 

Problem.  Due to my poor planning (i.e. I didn't take the shoes and sell them or hide them), she found her dance shoes.  She has now declared she wants to go to the dance class with the tap and she didn't mean to drop out.  I told her that she made the decision to drop in December, it was too late to enroll her (probably true given their big spring show is coming up in May I think) and also now her swim class was at a different time, there would be a conflict.  I told her if she still wanted to dance come the summer session, we would see about enrolling her again.  I wouldn't be surprised if she wants to dance again, and wouldn't be surprised if she didn't.

Anyone else deal with this kind of in-out, in-out business?  How did you handle it?  Thoughts?  TIA! 

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Changing mind re activities ?

• Our city's rec center has 13-week courses, so we go through this every couple of months. DD will tell me she wants to do ballet, basketball, piano--every time she's ended up choosing gymnastics when the time finally comes.

Occasionally she'll say she wants to do something else after she's enrolled, but I remind her that she's already signed up for this, let her know when it ends and that she'll get to choose something different later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kids are like this.  I think its common at this age and they like to try different things which I am all for.  We have done gymnastics, soccer and dance and swim lessons.  Swim is the only thing we don't really give a choice on.  We did a dance/gymnastics combo class in the fall and towards the end of the 1st session (it is 20 weeks) they started talking about soccer so we stopped and switched to soccer at the end of that session and then started soccer which was a 9 week class.  The coach was not great and my girls were basically messing around and not participating so I pulled them after 6 weeks and we are only doing swim right now.  I am actually loving it (younger DD does dance at daycare and older DD does a science class as an extra to her PreK class during school hours).  I would love to just keep swim and have more family time after school each day!
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"