High-Risk Pregnancy

When should they test me for GD (had it last time)

My DD is 8 months old and I am 12 weeks pregnant with our second child. I had my first appointment with my ob and she did not seem worried about it at all and said she would do blood work at 15 weeks. Shouldn't they test me sooner for GD? I'm just worried about this baby having birth defects if my sugar is already rising. I didn't get diagnosed with GD last time until I was around 32 weeks - I passed two 3 hour tests but she kept wanting to check further so it's weird that she seems so lax this time. I'm trying to eat well but it's really hard first trimester when everything sounds nasty. When did you 2nd time moms with previous GD get checked?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: When should they test me for GD (had it last time)

• I got pregnant with #2 when DD1 was 10 months old. I did the 1 hour test at 11 weeks and failed, so I did the 3 hour at 13 weeks and failed again, and was therefore diagnosed. I asked about testing even earlier, but my doctor didn't think the hormones would have kicked in enough yet. I did put myself on the diet/testing regime at 11 weeks to try to be proactive, but like you said, it's hard in the first trimester!

I was also concerned about birth defects, as my fastings were around 100 from 13 weeks until they put me on insulin at 18 weeks, but DD2 is perfect and healthy. I was told you would need HIGH numbers, sustained over a long period of time, to cause birth defects. The dietitian told me my fastings would have to be 130+ for a few weeks before they would worry about birth defects. Hopefully that puts your mind at ease a bit :) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That helps! Thank you! I'm a little worried bc my fasting number this morning was 94 and last time they had wanted it to be under 90 but I also know I didn't eat well last night (a bowl of mashed potatoes was all I could handle). I can't even remember all the rules from last time either... Does 140 or less an hour after eating sound right? I just don't remember...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I did the 1-hr test at my 10 week appointment, then again at 20 weeks - at which time I failed Sad

My OB was pretty calm about it, and just kept saying, we knew there was a chance of it happening, and we knew how to treat it. 

• I had GD when I was pregnant with DD three years ago.  This time, I was tested at about 12 weeks.  I failed the 1 hour test badly enough that I skipped the 3 hour and just started treating myself for GD...
  • imagebritt1141:
    That helps! Thank you! I'm a little worried bc my fasting number this morning was 94 and last time they had wanted it to be under 90 but I also know I didn't eat well last night (a bowl of mashed potatoes was all I could handle). I can't even remember all the rules from last time either... Does 140 or less an hour after eating sound right? I just don't remember...

My guidelines with #1 were under 90 for fasting and under 140 an hour after eating. With #2 I was with a new doctor and endocrinologist, and they said under 90 for fasting, but under 120 an hour after eating. Some new research suggesting the need for even tighter control during pregnancy apparently came out in the whopping 10 months I wasn't pregnant :) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was tested at 9 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was tested at 28 weeks.  I got pregnant again when DS was 8 months.  I was on insulin for fasting #'s last time.  The 2-hour test is now standard here, instead of the 1- and 3-hour test.  Surprisingly I passed!  
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • imagememali26:

imagebritt1141:
    That helps! Thank you! I'm a little worried bc my fasting number this morning was 94 and last time they had wanted it to be under 90 but I also know I didn't eat well last night (a bowl of mashed potatoes was all I could handle). I can't even remember all the rules from last time either... Does 140 or less an hour after eating sound right? I just don't remember...

My guidelines with #1 were under 90 for fasting and under 140 an hour after eating. With #2 I was with a new doctor and endocrinologist, and they said under 90 for fasting, but under 120 an hour after eating. Some new research suggesting the need for even tighter control during pregnancy apparently came out in the whopping 10 months I wasn't pregnant :) 

Yeah...mine changed as well.  With DS my fasting had to be under 95 and one hours under 140.  This time around (about 9 months later), fasting needs to be under 90 and one hour is 130.  Boo...I had a lot of meals that I had with my first pregnancy that put me in the 130s...now they don't work anymore.  :(  I try and stay within the old standards because DS was only 7 lbs 13 oz,  so I'm not too worried that this baby is going to be huge.  I'm even on a different insulin this time because apparently they were just waiting on a study to say it is safe for use in pregnancy and it was released in the short period I wasn't pregnant (Lantus this time, NPH last time)!

OP, my doctor told me "we are going to try really hard to diagnose you with GD this time around".  So, she skipped right to the 2 hour test at 19 weeks...which I failed.  If it makes you feel better, my fasting numbers still aren't under control (as high as 116, but usually in the high 90's or low 100's) and my ultrasound a week and a half ago with MFM showed DD is developing just fine.  Oh...and until I was diagnosed with GD I was eating horrible....think cookies...

I say if you have strips to test and are so inclined, I would test at least fasting numbers and if they start getting high let your doctor know.

• Listen to your body and insist on a test if you aren't feeling good.  That's how I got an early diagnosis during my first pregnancy.

I just saw my OB yesterday for this round and she said I should start the diet now and she included glucose and A1C in my bloodwork to give us a base (or diagnosis if I've crossed to type 2).  I also requested more strips so I can start periodically testing myself at home.  No one ever told me about a risk of birth defects last time around, so that must really be an extreme situation.  The only concern I was aware of was a too big baby (aside from health obviously).

• With my first pregnancy I passed the one hour test at 28 weeks but at 32 weeks I was extremely thirsty and was checking my blood sugar and it was HIGH. They diagnosed me then with Gestational Diabetes.

This time around I took the one hour at 6 weeks and the 3 hour at 8 weeks where I passed but I have been checking my numbers lately because I haven't had any energy and they have been high, so I am assuming I have it again. I am 16 weeks now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"