Breastfeeding
Options

DS won't nurse on his left side

I hope I explain this well...

I've been using the cradle hold to nurse LO since he was a week old (we started with the football hold).  In the past few days, he has started crying when I go to nurse him on my right side (holding him so he's laying on his left).  He refuses to nurse like that.  I've been using a modified football type hold to nurse him on that side.

I really don't mind the change, and I'm glad we figured out a way that DS is happy nursing, but I was wondering if any of you have any insight...What would cause LO to change preferences?  Any other LOs out there suddenly develop these preferences?

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: DS won't nurse on his left side

• Options
    personally, i would get him adjusted by a chiropractor that has experience with newborn babies.  birth can actually cause issues with alignment (not surprisingly), and if their neck is stiff or sore in one place they can refuse to nurse in certain positions.  When I took my classes for my CLC they also suggested this, so I guess it is more than just a personal recommendation...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DS was like this. I have no idea if a chiropractor would have helped, but he grew out of it at 3-4 months old. He just preferred to nurse when lying on his right side.

If it came on sort of quickly, I'd have him evaluated for an ear infection. I've heard it can also make babies not want to lie with the infected ear down.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DS did this, too and it was an ear infection on the side that he didn't want to lay on.

As a nicu nurse, I would get him evaluated for an ear infection.  I would not take my LO to a chiropractor.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageawisern:

My DS did this, too and it was an ear infection on the side that he didn't want to lay on.

As a nicu nurse, I would get him evaluated for an ear infection.  I would not take my LO to a chiropractor.

NICU nurse? knowledged in chiropractic care

As others have said, it could be an ear infection or a strained muscle. Chiropractors are actually trained to help with both.

https://www.icapediatrics.com/education-faq.php
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"