Breastfeeding

Coming up 1 oz. short - WWYD?

I've been back to work for only a little over a week, but I'm struggling to pump 16 oz each day.  DS takes 4 4oz bottles at daycare.

Would you just send 15 oz to daycare, or would you add a pumping session at night to make up the 1oz?

I know, I can't believe I'm writing a post about 1 oz, but I just cannot squeak out an extra ounce!

DS 11.24.11
MMC 3.30.16

Re: Coming up 1 oz. short - WWYD?

• If you can squeeze in an extra session I would do that.  Eventually you could set up a little stash that way.
  • I'd split the 15oz evenly among all the bottles and he'll get used to it.  He can make up by eating more when feeding at home.  No need to worry so much over an ounce.  :)  If you feel like pumping more on weekends, you can start to build a little stash to make up that ounce.

For what it's worth, I would I have freaked over that ounce when my kid was that age.  LOL  I feel like I stressed myself out unnecessarily over a lot of things that looking back were kind of silly.  :)  I see my second baby possibly getting a much more laid back mommy!  If you really feel invested in this ounce, then add a pumping if it will make you feel better, but if adding a pumping is going to be stressful, he'll do fine without it!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Send what you have, and pump on the weekends to make up the shortage.  BTW, this is common and your supply may increase.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok - for what it's worth (36 months of BF under my belt and currently BF #3), I have always done serve what you pump!! Your baby is more efficient than a pump and it's SOOOO easy to overfeed a BF baby via a bottle. I would not worry about the 1 oz.
  • I'm in a similar boat though my LO eats 12oz (4 bottles of 3oz).  I pump 10-11 a day though sometimes I actually get 12.  I pump after her first am feed on weekends (and when I can on my 2 days at home with her) which gets me an extra 2-4 oz that either goes toward the daycare bottles or in the freezer.

Daycare provider has asked for bigger bottles but I am not convinced she needs it even though one day I send 14oz and she at it all.  She nurses in the am before DC and twice in the evening then twice overnight so I'm confident she'll make up for any shortage when she's with me.  That may mean we have nightwakings longer than usual but it is too stressful for me to add in any more pumping or to dip into my freezer for the extra 1-2 ounces (times 3 days).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"