Toddlers: 24 Months+

Moving to big bed - single or double mattress??

We're thinking of making the move from DD's crib to a big bed. She's still completely content in her crib and hasn't outgrown it, but we'd like to use the crib once baby #2 is 3-4 months old (she'll be in a bassinet before then), and it seems like maybe the transition would be easier without 2 kids to contend with at night....

The thing we're trying to decide on is whether to go with a single/twin mattress, or a double. DH wants to go with a double because it would make story time more comfortable for him, and if she's sick or something and needs us to sleep with her it's easier. I'm more worried that a double bed will almost be too much of a change from her cozy crib - that it will seem too big and open and make her feel more insecure or vulnerable at night. She's a terrible sleeper, and very sensitive to her surroundings, so I'm just trying to figure out how to make the transition easiest on her. I'm not worried about one bed or the other being better for the future since we'll be moving out of the country in a few years and selling everything anyways, so that's not an issue.

What do you gals think? Would a double bed or a single bed be better in our situation? What worked for your kiddos?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moving to big bed - single or double mattress??

• DS is using his converted crib now and then will be using an extra long twin.  That thing is huge by itself so I'm sure a dobule would be quite intimidating.  I think it's a little silly to base the size on IF she gets sick and needs someone to sleep with her and for story time but you should do what's best for your family.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When we transition DS, it will be into a full sized bed.  I'd prefer a twin, but we already have a full bed in what will be his "big boy room" and we have no place to store it to get a smaller bed... so double it is!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • We were in a similar situation, and DD did great with the transition. Virtually no issues -- we went with a twin bed, pushed against the wall with a railing (see below) on the other side. I don't think she really "needs" it, but I thought better safe than sorry --- plus, I felt it mimicked the feeling of security that a crib might provide. 

https://www.target.com/p/Regalo-Pink-Swing-Down-Bedrail/-/A-13800333?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C13800333&CPNG=furniture&ci_sku=13800333&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw= 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We went straight to a full. He looks so small in it though, but he's a wild sleeper so it's better for him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • After a very long debate we decided to go with a twin simply to give DD more floor space to play in her room. We've been staying with my parents in between moving and she's been in a queen bed and trying to get me to sleep with her every night... I hope the smaller bed gets her away from that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We converted DD's crib into the toddler bed at 2 1/2.  She slept in it that way for 6 months, and then for her 3rd birthday we converted it into a full size.  She has done great with all of the transitions.
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• We went with a full size for the reasons your DH gave, plus DD is an active sleeper and the extra space is nice for her.  She did amazingly well and loves her big girl bed.  This is huge for us because DD is a terrible sleeper, so I had low expectations.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"