Working Moms
Options

WMs who did BLW

I'm looking for some advice insight since DD is my first baby and I still am flying by the seat of my pants (or so I feel).  We are doing BLW.  We introduced solids once/day since she was 5.5 months or so.  Only recently has she shown an interest in actually eating it (she went after some sweet potato wedges last week and ate a tbsp or 2 of oatmeal on sunday).

Anyway, now that she's 7 months old, I want to "expose" her to food 2x/day.  I still don't know if I feel comfy with her DC doing BLW so here is my schedule:

6A - nurse

7A - oatmeal

7:30-5:30 - DC - bottles only

6P - nurse (at home)

then she gets a bath, then I shower

6:45P/7P - solids of some kind

8P - bed (maybe nursing)

The last 2 mornings she hasn't been very interested in the oatmeal and last night she wasn't interested in the sweet potato so I didn't push it.   Do you think that she should be more interested in it at her age (therefore, is it too early/late for her in the day to show an interest in food)?  Also, on the weekends, should I try to stick to the same feeding schedule as far as the times when she can experience solids?  

I'm looking for insight since you guys are more likely to have the scheduling/work demands while trying to do BLW.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WMs who did BLW

• Options

We started BLW with DD around 6 months and it wasn't until about 8 months when she really showed an interest and started to understand that this stuff is something I eat and it makes my belly full.  I too was hesitant to have DC do BLW since they aren't used to it, but I had them start around 7 months and DD had no problems.

DD didn't eat dinner until around 11 months (she wasn't interested) so she would do BLW at DC for breakfast and lunch.  On the weekends I would give her food at the same time that DC did. 

I think your LO sounds normal.  Some babies pick up BLW/solids right away and it takes others a while to ease into it.  Since your LO doesn't need the nutrional value of food right now I would let her take her time with it.

Good luck!

• Options
    Skye - thank you.  What kind of BLW foods did you give DC to give your DD?  I'm thinking of giving oatmeal to them and emphasizing to let her feed herself/play with it and if she's not at all interested, not to push it.  Key being them not feeding her (I sometimes give her oatmeal on a spoon and she grabs the spoon and tries to feed herself - and I sometimes help the spoon since her aim is a little off ;) but I don't feed her.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're doing BLW thisi time around and it's so much easier than spoon feeding!  DS will be 9 months tomorrow and he's only started eating significant amounts of food in the past 3 or 4 weeks.  I bring those Ella's Kitchen pouches to daycare (I'm not anti purees, DS just wants to feed himself and the pouches allow him to control it).  I also bring things like bananas, sliced bell peppers, baked sweet potato fries, chicken, pasta, cooked carrots, basically anything the shape and size of a finger.  At first daycare seemed a little weirded out by it but another baby is doing the same thing and I've emphasized that I'm okay with him just gnawing on stuff and not that concerned about how much he gets yet (solids "just for fun until age 1" etc.)  Now daycare is amazed at all the different foods he will eat.  I just try to feed him when we are eating or when others are eating at school.  He doesn't like to feel left out. 
  • Options

Bella - thanks for the tips.  DD also likes to be involved when we're eating.  Unfortunately with dinner, it's usually right before she goes to bed or right after (no way to avoid it with our work schedules).  This morning she wasn't at all interested in my bagel (she usually tries to grab stuff from me) so I didn't feel too bad she rejected her oatmeal.  

In a month or so, I'm going to just give her what we eat.  I'm still getting her used to the different softer foods (bananas, avocados, sweet potatoes).   

• Options

imageNithyaV:
    Skye - thank you.  What kind of BLW foods did you give DC to give your DD?  I'm thinking of giving oatmeal to them and emphasizing to let her feed herself/play with it and if she's not at all interested, not to push it.  Key being them not feeding her (I sometimes give her oatmeal on a spoon and she grabs the spoon and tries to feed herself - and I sometimes help the spoon since her aim is a little off ;) but I don't feed her.

At the beginnig I gave her bananas, avocados, steamed brocolli (she loved it!), steamed sweet potato chunks, steamed fruits coated in wheat germ, stuff like that.  DC wasn't used to BLW so when I told them not to spoon feed but to let her self feed I got a lot of confused looks.  But then when she really got the hang of it the teachers were shocked (in a good way) about how well she was eating.

• Options

We are just doing foods at home right now.  I have brought up BLW to her teachers at daycare, and at first they were ok with it.  Then one teacher (who has since left) said that another mom sent huge chunks of all sorts of foods (aka BLW....) and she would break the food up into itty bitty pieces b/c she didn't want the baby to choke!  (Yes, I chuckled to myself.) 

Just the other day, my LO's teacher told me that the daycare's director now says BLW is prohibited so we can't do it, but to please send purees so LO can eat at daycare.  Now, this daycare has been overfeeding LO from Day One (giving her 16oz of BM in the 7 hours she's there) so I do not want to start the same thing with foods. 

So we bought some of those puffs and we sent those.  Now LO sits at the table with the rest of them and plays with her puffs.  The teacher tells me that LO doesn't get them into her mouth, so she has been putting them in her mouth for her.  Arg!  We do dinner at home together as a family.  LO just the last few days has gotten interested in food. 

I do breakfast with her on the weekends in addition to the dinner.  (Waffles!) 

My DH has LO in the AM before she goes to daycare, but he isn't a breakfast person and the whole idea of BLW is about sitting at the table together....so we'll probably do just the one meal for awhile.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"