Babies: 0 - 3 Months

sleeping too long? (5 weeks)

The last few nights our 5 week old son has been sleeping anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours at a stretch during the night - just one time, then back to 2-3 hours between eating the rest of the day/night.  It kind of stresses me out when I wake up and realize that he's been down for 5+ hours...  should I just be grateful for the rest, or is he still young enough that we need to wake him after 3-4 hours?  (When we saw his pediatrician a week ago & reported a 4 hour stretch she wasn't concerned.)  Thanks!  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: sleeping too long? (5 weeks)

• My DD started sleeping through the night at 5 weeks and I was worried too.  I contacted my PED and she said to just let it go and that I was lucky!  I formula feed and hear that has a lot to do with it.  If your DS has been gaining weight like he is supposed to he should be fine.  He will let you know when he is hungry.  :o)  I know it is hard to just enjoy it, but try and relax/get caught up on sleep yourself. 
  • Oh yes - he was born at 6 lb 6 oz and at his appt last week he was already at 10 lb 1 oz!  He is on breast milk, which I forgot to mention, so that's part of why I'm surprised at the long sleeping stretch.  Thanks!  :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD has slept like that since we came home from the hospital.  Her pedi encourages it.  Enjoy the fact that you have a good sleeper!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm being induced on Thursday and was bored talking to a nurse about this during a NST.  She said after the baby is back up to his/her birth weight you don't have to wake them.  She said usually around 2 wks its fine to let them sleep. 

• My Pedi says tons of sleep is good for brain development!  He encourages it, says never wake a sleeping baby.   My boys sleep long periods of time too, especially during the day.   They are just starting to have periods of "wake" time.
  • My lo sleeps 5 hours all the time, then wakes up to feed, play a bit then back to sleep. I asked his pedi.about this and he said not to worry as my lo is doing great, so to let him sleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"