August 2011 Moms

BC suggestions

I'm on the minipill right now but this breakthrough bleeding is getting annoying. I think I've had my period on and off for at least a month now; I've lost track. I only BF once or twice a day now, so the minipill probably isn't all that effective anyway any more. I'm thinking of just switching to condoms. Are there any Mirena users here who recommend that?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BC suggestions

• FWIW, the constant breakthrough bleeding caused my to POAS and write a frantic post awhile back. The doctor wanted me to get bloodwork. Thanks for telling me, Doc, that it's a common side effect of the minipill.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can have it removed whenever you want, right? I wouldn't want any issues down the road with TTC our 2nd child.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemeghansell:
    You can have it removed whenever you want, right? I wouldn't want any issues down the road with TTC our 2nd child.

I used to sell Mirena when I was in pharma sales, so I know the product inside out!  The product is good for up to five years.  You can get it removed whenever you would like up to those five years, and the return to fertility is immediate.

There is some spotting that can occur, but usually ends within 3-6 months.

I am on my second Mirena (had one before I had DS) and it is by far my favorite form of BC.  I was never a good pill taker, and within a few months stopped getting my period, minus a few cramps here or there every month.  It's awesome!

If you or anyone else have any questions specific to Mirena, I'm open to do an "Ask me Anything" Mirena edition lol. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepinklion:

If you or anyone else have any questions specific to Mirena, I'm open to do an "Ask me Anything" Mirena edition lol. 

I have a question. I just got off the pill because I found that I was a hormonal mess. I couldnt stand myself some days-I found this on the nuva ring too. Ha Im hormonal enough as it is. Is Mirena similar in the sense of it altering hormones? 

• I'm on the depo shot and love it, since I started getting it I haven't thought twice about it.The main side effect is weight gain, but I haven't experienced that. It is also safe for breastfeeding. If I were you, I'd consider it:) 

I opted against Mirena just because it freaked me out- having a piece of plastic or whatever it is up inside there! Granted the shot goes throughout your body/blood... Mirena just seemed much more invasive to me!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a few friends who wanted to get Mirena because I told them that once you get past the first few months of bleeding it is AWESOMe.  But I guess not many inusruances cover it.  So before you get to into getting this makesure its covered because if not it is pretty pricey! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • imageGilliebear:
    imagepinklion:

I have a question. I just got off the pill because I found that I was a hormonal mess. I couldnt stand myself some days-I found this on the nuva ring too. Ha Im hormonal enough as it is. Is Mirena similar in the sense of it altering hormones? 

As with every form of BC, every person reacts differently.  However, with Mirena, there is only progesterone, no estrogen, which is thought to be the main cause of side effects.  The progesterone is at a very low dose because the hormone is local and absorbed in the uterus. This dose isn't even recognized in the bloodstream, which can minimize side effects.  Speaking personally, I have felt no hormonal effects.

• Ok thank you everyone for your input. I'm on my last pill tonight so I bought a new pack just to keep myself infertile until we decide what we're doing. DH and I will have to discuss all our options...
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"