Success after IF
Options

When to ditch the bottles

So one of my college friends posted on FB about how she is weaning her 10 month old from bottles. I hadn't even given this a thought. I dont feel Henry would be ready for this at all. He currently gets 3 bottles a day (am, nap and bedtime) with straw cups of water throughout the day. I wasn't even going to visit this until 15 months-def dropping his am and nap bottle soon, but not cutting the bedtime for last. Is this normal? When did you all wean from bottle?

Diagnosed PCOS & MFI-Success with IUI
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to ditch the bottles

• Options

With both my girls I dropped bottles cold turkey at 12 months.  At that time, I replaced formula (they were on formula then) in bottles with WCM in a sippy at the exact same time (3x a day...1st thing in am, around snack time (4ish) and then right before bedtime; my pedi recommended they get 16-24 oz of WCM a day).  They both had been getting sippies of water throughout the day since they were ~6 months.  

My older daughter was a smooth transition from bottles to sippies.  My younger daughter fought it a bit -- tried to swat away the sippy assuming it had the usual water in it during her normal formula time but we stuck with it and she was completely transitioned in a few days.

I'm not sure what is "normal" but that's what we did :) 

5 IUIs | 4 IVFs | 2 sweet little girls Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I really didn't have a plan. Eliza got a bad cold with lots of congestion around 14mo and the  ped suggested skipping her night bottle to e the congestion. I was dreading it, but she never missed it or asked for it. That was that. I'm not a big believer in pushing them to wean, especially the nighttime session. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We weaned around 15 months but it took forever before that to find a sippy cup he would drink milk from.
  • Options
    If I recall correctly, it was just a bit aver the one year mark.
    Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Stick with your plan.  Pay no attention to your co-worker's plan. 

Jack just dropped his night-time bottle on his own last week.  He's 3.  HA!

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Options
    Jones still gets a bedtime bottle.  I cut out the daytime ones around one year, but the night time bottle is my snuggle time with DS... I'm not stopping anytime soon ;)
  • Options

Jacob did it on his own around 13mths or so.. I was still giving him

Bottles and sippies and he just preferred the sippies.. Now I will say that he only take the sippies w the soft spout not te hard ones like playtex but I am not that worried abt it.. 

• Options

We still do three milks a day - morning, midday and bedtime. I just switched the vessel from bottles to sippies. They drink from these and have no issues with them whatsoever.

midday bottle and bedtime bottle is in this:

https://www.amazon.com/NUK-Disney-Winnie-Learner-Silicone/dp/B005A3OGRA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1330481314&sr=8-6 

morning bottle is in this:

https://www.amazon.com/NUK-Disney-Winnie-Ounces-Silicone/dp/B005A3OGR0/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_b  

I use the smaller cups twice a day b/c they only hold 5 oz. Our pedi said that the babies should only get 16-20 oz of WCM per day, more than that and it could interrupt their solid food nutrition and too much WCM can block iron absorption (from all of the vitamin D).

So they get 10 oz in the a.m. and 5 oz 2 x per day. And sometimes they don't drink all of their milk...

HTH! 

• Options
    We were done with bottles by 13 months but she always liked the cup a lot so it was not that big of deal for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We dropped all of the bottles aside from the bedtime bottle right around 12 months.  We will probably be trying to drop the bedtime bottle again relatively soon.  I don't think there is any one right way to do it.  Every kid is so different.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

14 months - I was terrified of cavities from the bottle, so after a couple months of trying to do it slowly, I just packed up the bottles and told her they were gone.  Unless they can get the full amount of formula/BM from a sippy at 10 months (DD couldn't), you are restricting their main source of nutrition, so I wouldn't drop it that early.      
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am starting to think about this for Ava now.  Of course we are not giving up bottles right now, but I've started to think about which bottle I want to give up next.   Probably her pre-dinner bottle and then probably her wakeup in the morning bottle.  My plan is to be totally done with bottles by the summer when she is 15 or 16 months old.   The last bottle I plan to give up is her bedtime bottle.  

Nicholas was totally done with bottles by the time he was 15 months old.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't remember exactly when we dropped his am and afternoon bottle. I know we slowly phased them out, though. We dropped the afternoon bottle first, then the morning bottle (I want to say around 15 months), and then we dropped the bedtime bottle at 18 months. We would always brush his teeth after his bedtime bottle, so we weren't concerned about cavities.
    TTC for 19 months. Dx: PCOS. 3 IUI's with Clomid= BFN 1st IUI with injectables= BFP imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DS1 was done by 13 months.

DS2 was done by 12 months.

DD would be done now if we let her. I am weaning her off the second the pedi gives me the go ahead. No flames, but I hope she will let me do it by 11 months. We have awful feeding issues with her and the bottle. But, she is already eating all solids completely by herself.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

With Paige, we went down to 2 at 12 months (nap and bed, WCM), then around 16 months we just did her bedtime one. Dropped all at 2. 

With the boys, we dropped to 1 at bedtime only at 12 months. No plans to drop that. It's the only time they drink milk! 

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    11 months for the binky and the bottle- cold turkey for both.
    Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

One year, partly because I wanted him to associate milk with the sippy cup and partly because I was just tired of washing bottle parts! We still cuddle with sippy cups, (when I can catch him, lol) so it really didn't change anything. I think whatever you decide to do is perfectly ok!

• Options
    Cold turkey at 1 year.  Gave her a straw cup with milk and she took it with no problems.  We never looked back.
    Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    We went cold turkey with DS at 1 with no problems.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks girls. Sounds like I need to pick up a few sippy cups. He still goes down for a nap and bedtime with a bottle. other times he will take a straw cuP. I'll start using a sippy for those times and go from there!

Diagnosed PCOS & MFI-Success with IUI

• Options
    Anna had a hard time with the sippy transition, so we transitioned to milk in bottles right at 12 months and, once she got the hang of that, we ditched bottles cold turkey at 13 months.   While she would guzzle water from her sippy, she refused to drink milk from it.   Going cold turkey, it took her 5-6 days with very little milk intake before she realized the bottles weren't coming back.   But then she drank like a champ and moved on like it was no big deal.  Our pedi suggested/advised she be off of bottles by 15 months, so that was our goal.
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

• Options

Thats what we did -- cut the am bottle first, replaced with a sippy, then cut nap time bottle, replaced with a sippy, and lastly it was the nighttime bottle -- again replaced with a sippy. 

For us it was an easy transition - I made it out harder than it was because I was afraid she wouldnt go for it. But she was totally fine.  I dont recall her age when we weaned from everything but she was over a year and it was before she was 2. (I know that helps so much). 

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards