November 2011 Moms

need meal ideas for feeding a large crowd

DD is being baptized next weekend and I need some help with the meal afterwards.  We are having 15-20 adults and 6 kids.  The baptism is on Saturday after 4:30 mass so dinner will be around 6.  I need some meal ideas that will feed a big crowd but that will be easy to prepare.  We'll be gone for 2 hours before we eat and I need to be able to have dinner ready right when we get home.  Any ideas?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: need meal ideas for feeding a large crowd

• Sandwich platters, BBQ beef/pork/chicken sandwiches in crock pot, burgers and dogs on the grill...
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Spaghetti (put the sauce in a crock pot and cook noodles when you get home). Sandwiches (you can either premake or put out meat, cheese, and veggie platters), different soups/stews that can sit in the crockpot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • One of our favorites is pulled pork in the crock pot. Buy a pork shoulder, 2 liter of dr pepper, onion, and your favorite BBQ sauce. Pour enough dr p over the meat to cover, toss in a sliced onion and cook on low all day. Before you leave, shred the meat and put it back in the crock pot. My recipe says to add the BBQ sauce when you start the meat, but I like to add it after I've cooked and shredded the meat. 

Mommy to Maddie 11/11/11
  • How long would you cook this? The recipe sounds interesting and Ive been looking for a good pulled pork crock recipe.....I think I might try it :) 

• I love the pulled pork idea.  Another is mostaccioli (sp?).  With sausage.  So easy and soooo good!!!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did penne pasta with meatballs, my mom made the noodles the day before, she cooked them up and added some sauce and left them in the garage (LO got baptized in december so they stayed cold) her and grandma rolled the meatballs a few days before (I was fine with the pre-bought ones, but grandma wasn't lol) and that morning before we left for church, (Our mass was at ten) we through everything in the roaster and turned it on. We did a salad and rolls, and chex mix and a cake. It all turned out really good.

That pulled pork recipe sounds delicious, I may have to try that! 

• Lasagna (you can do several pans in advance), salad, veggie tray, fruit tray and bread sticks. Don't forget cake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Baked pastas are really simple and you can prepare them ahead of time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the pulled pork in the crock pot idea...and you could do a variety of salads (macaroni, potato, broccoli or a layered salad) that you just would need to pull out of the fridge.  Fruit trays are nice and easy, too.  If you want a hot side, you could do baked beans in another crock pot.
  • Love the pulled pork idea... awesome recipe.  Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"