Breastfeeding
Options

Are lactation consultants free?

Everyone says to go see a LC if you are struggling with BFing, but was just wondering how much they cost and do you just go through a hospital?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Are lactation consultants free?

• Options
    Mine through our hospital are $50 an hour! And I honestly learned more from the nurses than the consultants during our hospital stay.
                    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

• Options

I saw a couple while I was in the hospital.  My whole hospital stay was free, and I'm not sure if there was a charge for this specific service.  They were available by phone for free after I was discharged, but I'm not sure for how long.   I didn't find them helpful, and thus did not utilize this service. 

I hired a private LC when DS was about 6 weeks.  Her first visit was $60, follow up visits were $30, and phone consults were free after an initial paid visit.  She was very helpful.  I wish I had hired her sooner.  I plan to call her right away if DD and I have any problems. 

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    All calls to the hospital's consultant and my consultant I was hooked up with through a local public health nurse is free too. There is a consultant that the hospital outsources to that will come to your house and she charges $80 an hour!
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Mine session was free. I also see her every week at the hospital BF support group, which is free. You should see if your local hospital or pediatric group have a BF support group and if there is an LC attending.
  • Options
    My insurance covers all visits to the LC, 100%, but typically they aren't free.  That said, there are good LC's and bad LC's, best to try to find one that is actually helpful and is worth the money.  It took a few visits to different LC's to finally find one that really knew her stuff and was very patient and helpful.
  • Options
    they aren't free but i think they should be covered by insurance! We paid $250.00 for her to come to our house for an hour.  In hindsight, I would have utilized the one at our pediatricians office for 100.00 in office, but we were really struggling and didn't want to leave the house more than necessary. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine is associated with the hospital and was there to help right after DS was born.  I can also call or e-mail her, as well as meet her at the hospital to help with latching or to see how much I'm feeding DS in a feeding.  I also see her weekly for my breastfeeding group... this is all free.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageprettypinktress:
    Mine is associated with the hospital and was there to help right after DS was born.  I can also call or e-mail her, as well as meet her at the hospital to help with latching or to see how much I'm feeding DS in a feeding.  I also see her weekly for my breastfeeding group... this is all free.

My hospital has this, too, for free. I am also lucky to have a lc friend. She helps me immensely.

Cambria, Keira, and Bonnie Quinn
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

The ones I saw during admission were included in the cost of my hospital stay.  I have seen one at the outpatient clinic and she was free but only b/c it is currently being run through grant money, it will stop being free as of 3/17.  They said after that I'll have to go through my insurance, I don't think my insurance covers it but I'm not positive, so I'm guessing I'd be out of pocket.

At the specialty breastfeeding store in town that offers LC's it's $150 for an initial consult and I think $100 after that if you need more sessions.

TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • Options
    Have you called your local La Leche League? They should be able to provide you with resources.
  • Options

My LC was through the hospital and was free.  They offer free services to anyone in our city/area regardless of where you gave birth!  I'd check around your area to see what is offered.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"