November 2011 Moms
Options

giving up breastfeeding dream

I think I am going to stop breastfeeding because it seems that at this point I am just torturing myself. After being back at work my supply tanked and I have never been able to regain it even after trying milk thistle and fenugreek. It is so frustrating and disappointing as I had originally planned to supply her with breastmilk until 6 months. At this point, I am barely getting 8 ounces after pumping at least 4 or 5 times during the day. :( I just need to get over my disappoinment and move on but it's so hard! Anyone else given up because of supply issues?

Re: giving up breastfeeding dream

• Options
    I hope you mean blessed thistle, not milk thistle.  Blessed thistle increases supply, milk thistle decreases it...
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options

imageMrs.Greeko:
    I hope you mean blessed thistle, not milk thistle.  Blessed thistle increases supply, milk thistle decreases it...

This.  Also, are you EPing?  Or nursing and pumping?  If you are EPing, you need to increase the number of your pumping sessions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I pump like 4-5 times/ day, and I EP.  I do mix in a few days of pumping every three hours, that seems to boost my supply. oatmeal has helped as well.

When I pump, I make sure that I am hooked up for at least 15 mins and feel empty.  I think that this also matters in addition to the number of sessions.  

Are you using the right size flange for your pump? Have you tried replacing the membranes? 

If you decide to continue breastfeeding, these suggestions may help you increase your output.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ditto to what all the PP's said. Check the size of your shields and replace the membranes. If there is a hole in them, it won't work as well. Also, if you're not EP, try nursing exclusively on the weekends to boost supply.

At the end of the day, 8 oz is not horrible. It's still 8 oz of breastmilk and you can supplement.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I EP and have to supplement, I just never produced enough milk. I can pump if I'm lucky, 10 oz a day. But the way I look at it my LO is still getting some breast milk, some is better than none. 
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I BF and pump 3 x's at work.  I can't quite keep up w LO, so she does get some formula.  But I just figure that she is getting as much breast milk as I can possibly give her and that is great even if she does get some formula.  8 oz isn't bad!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"