TTC After a Loss
Options

Birth Control to regulate period while TTC???

Ok so my dr informed me yesterday that she feels the next step in our TTC journey is to take BC for 3 months and then I "will be regular" after that. Has anyone else done this? Seems kinda counter productive to me personally, but I do not have a medical degree. Sometimes I feel like Military Drs tend to take the cheap route vs the most effective route, but again I have no idea. I am mostly confused because I was on BC 2.5 years ago and when I got off it I didn't have a period for 6 months! Yes I had them while ON the pill, but nothing after it.

Background info if you care... we have been TTC for about a yearish. I have very irregular cycles, and have for my whole life with the exception of when I was on the pill from age 17-22 (I am now 25). I had a miscarriage in Nov and have not had a period since then. She says that taking the pill for 3 months will jump start my cycle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
TTC Since Summer 2011
BFP #1 11/5/11 EDD 7/22/12 MC 11/14/11
PGAL/PAL Always Welcome

Re: Birth Control to regulate period while TTC???

• Options

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. 

I've been put on birth control to end long cycles (90 days +) in order to start back on medicated cycles. Has your doctor ever prescribed Provera to jump start your cycle? Even though it doesn't work for me, it works for a good number of women.

I'm also a military spouse and depending on the doctor, it does seem like some take the easy way out with treatments. Since you've been trying for a year, you could request a referral to see an RE. I'm assuming you're not seeing one already. Have you had an infertility testing done? Irregular or missing cycles could signal PCOS.  

TTC since 2007. Dx PCOS 6/2010
    4 unsuccessful rounds of Clomid
    Clomid 50mg - BFP #1 - February 7, 2010 Missed miscarriage March 25, 2010
    Clomid 100 mg - BFP #2 - October 28, 2010 Chemical pregnancy November 4, 2010
    IUI #1 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #2 - Femera + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #3 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #4 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #5 - Menopur + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IVF #1 - Microdose Lupron Flare protocol = BFN
    FET = BFN - lost all remaining embryos
    IVF 2.0 - In progress. 20 retrieved. 16 mature. 10 fertilized with ICSI. 3, grade I embryos transferred, 7 made to freeze. Currently in the 2ww.
  • Options
    I am definintely not a doctor, but I thought taking the pill could mask things like PCOS. I also thought the pill was a way to trick your body with supplemental hormones so you don't get pregnant. To me, trickery and getting your body onto it's "normal" cycle don't go hand in hand. I definitely think it seems counterproductive. I would question her further about her logic and reasoning on that one.

TTC since April 2010
    BFP #1 – March 2011, missed m/c April 2011
    BFP #2 – October 2011, m/c November 2011
    Surprise BFP #3 – December 2011, diagnosed as cornual, terminated January 2012
    BFP #4 – June 2012, m/c July 2012
    Diagnosed with bicornuate ute and MTHR gene mutation
    BFP #5 – October 2012, missed m/c November 2012
    BFP #6 – January 2013, m/c March 2013
    No longer TTC. Diagnosis: Hostile ute. Heartbroken and bitter. Pursuing surrogacy.
    June 2013 - Carrier found! Could this really happen?!
    ~All AL always welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you had any testing done to see why you might be irregular (hormone testing, maybe PCOS, etc) ?

I've heard of people going on bcp for issues like excessive bleeding (e.g., AF for 2 weeks) and people starting IVF.  I haven't heard about it to treat irregular cycles though.

I was having crazy long cycles this past year and my doc prescribed prometrium to jump start AF and the next cycle.  It seems to me something like progeterone/Clomid/metformin, depending on the underlying issue might be more effective.  I don't see what bcp would do.   Could you request another opinion or RE referal?

Are you ovulating?  Do you chart?  That's something you might want to start understanding what your body is doing.  Also, if you open to it, acupuncture might help regulate your cycles as well.   GL!

PGAL/PAL welcome

Trying to start our family since 2010
    BFP #1 11.4.10, EDD 7.12.11, HB 12/9/10, MMC 12/27/10; 11w6d
    BFP #2 9.12.12, EDD 5.24.13, Baby Boy Born 5.15.13!!
    My Ovulation Chart
    3 Clomid (100mg) cycles + TI + Trigger = BFN's, Femara + Trigger + IUI#1 = BFN
    Femara + Trigger + IUI#2 = BFP!
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Gandhi
  • Options

I am surprised that they have not brought up simply starting you on a round of provera or prometrium to jump start your system.  Perhaps you could suggest that, as it is only for a short time.  I had to do that 3 months after my m/c and now my doctor is discussing another round of it (3 months after the first round) or BCP.

I understand your frustration and you need to discuss with your doctor why they feel BCP may be the better option for you.

• Options
    There have been a couple of girls on here that have gone on BCP to regulate their cycles. I can think of one that graduated her first month off of them. Hang tight...it might be what you need.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have heard of this, but usually people try Provera first to jump start their cycle. I haven't had to deal with irregular cycles (except for immediately after m/c), so I don't have much advice. Maybe there is an underlying cause for your whacky cycles and that should be explored further. Sorry for your loss!
    TTC #1 BFP 6/1/2011 blighted ovum d&c 7/15/11
    TTC #2 BFP 12/6/11 chemical pregnancy natural mc 12/18/11
    TTC #3 BFP 3/19/12. 4/9: HR of 134! **Bake Turkey, Bake!**
    **All ALs Welcome**
  • Options

This was my first visit back, just with my PCM. She told me to come in after I have been trying for a year, so I did. And she told me BC for 3 months was the next step. She is referring me to an OB/GYN in the near future and maybe they have another option and can do some testing. I haven't had any testing yet. I guess I was just expecting them to try to DO something vs just tell me to take BC and wait longer. I want to know WHY my cycles are so off and how we can treat the problem instead of the symptoms. She also said I could not get referred to a RE until I had been TTC for a year with no pregnancies, which means I have a while.

TTC Since Summer 2011
    BFP #1 11/5/11 EDD 7/22/12 MC 11/14/11
    PGAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Options

I did take BCP to regulate my cycle when I still didn't have a period about 7 weeks after a miscarriage.  However, I am raising my eyebrows at the three month prescription.  I did only one month, and I found that annoying but necessary (I will say I felt much better on the pills).  I would be super irritated to be held up for three months on BCP.  I did one month followed by Clomid.  The next month, I picked up after a perfect 28 day cycle (thank God).  I don't have underlying issues or a consistent history of irregularity (stress or illness causes me to miss periods, but if I am feeling okay,  I am usually fairly regular).  I would ask your doctor about Provera or even a single month of BCP to start your cycle.  Three months seems a little long to me.

ETA: I also feel that your doctor should be pushing to figure out what is causing your irregular cycles.  I would ask about that.

• Options

This does seem odd to me.  I'm currently on BC in order to be able to effectively time my next treatment cycle. 

I have PCOS and along with that, rediculously long cycles.  Whenever I was past 60 days, my dr would prescribe Provera rather than the pill.  I'd ask for that instead. 

Additonally, I'd really recommend hormonal testing (if you haven't already) to see if there's an imbalance to to figure out WHY your cycles are so irregular.  My RE sympathizes with me and this is why I'm on BC rather than waiting for my body to decide to do it on its own.  GL!

After 22 months TTC and the loss of our identical twins at 10w6d, we're excited about our rainbow baby!
    Stick, baby, Stick!
    Beta #1 (12dpo): 38.3; Beta #2 (15dpo): 202.7
    Baby Girl born 1/17/13
  • Options
    imagelavril:

Are you ovulating?  Do you chart?  That's something you might want to start understanding what your body is doing.  Also, if you open to it, acupuncture might help regulate your cycles as well.   GL!

I second this.

As other posters said, I would be hesitant to go on the pill if the point is to regulate in order to TTC.  While being on the pill will regulate you while on it, it doesn't mean it will continue to be regular when you stop again. I would look into alternate ways of regulating rather than the pill if I was in your shoes.

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else... seems strange that she wants to do this to regulate your cycle... unless she wants to ensure that you dont get pg during those cycles you are on bcp...
  • Options
    imageVeganlady:

This just seems really weird to me. Testing and a referral seem way overdue here. I'm not in the military and don't want to criticize unduly, but I've heard the expertise in military docs about the lady parts mechanics isn't always too great. This seems out of the realm of stuff a primary care doc should be handling. I'd get to an OB or RE, and preferably a civilian one, stat.

Someone posted awhile back about patients having the right to do that. Was it Petra? Anyone remember that post?

It was Petra.  I don't recall the specifics of the post,  but the gist of it was everyone was saying her doctor was crazy and the woman should switch. Petra said it all made sense once she realized it was military.OP, ask this doctor about Provera instead of Birth control. And see if there's anyway you can get covered for an actual OBGYN

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Options
    I was put on BCPs for one cycle after my D&C and lap.  My first cycle after the surgery, I had severe, heavy bleeding for ten days so that's what prompted my REs recommendation.  It did help though.  GL to you!

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Options
    I'm doing two cycles of BCP to try to reset my hormones because I have a TON of bleeding/spotting during my LP. Anywhere from 8 days before AF to 14+ days this cycle. They haven't found a reason for it, so I'm trying BCP to give my body a break and treat this as a reset button. I agree with the others that BCP might not be the most appropriate treatment in your case.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"