Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Where to Register and What to Register for?

Hi sweet almost new mommies. :) This post tries to answer WHERE to register and WHAT to register for as well. I have notes on our list about the usefulness of the product - whether it has been never used or a lifesaver and why. I needed this kind of help one year ago and I remember being very stressed about what to buy - it is too overwhelming. We decided to make it easy on everyone by creating only one baby registry with options to add stuff from any retailer out there and with the option to pay the lowest prices. After researching the options we found the best out there to be BabyList. I looked into amazon too but they did categorize things automatically and items do not group together well. For example, toys get mixed with books, feeding, etc. On BabyList you can use Categories to make pretty categs yourself. I also wanted a pretty interface for the baby items and because I buy my tp and paper towels on Amazon and I bet a lot of people do so as well we wanted to dissasociate the "cute baby gifts list" from the humuongosity of the typical Amazon site (it's like the new online walmart in my mind) and def not cutesy. Though many products end up being cheaper there, we let the friends make the decision of using Amazon and instead we only provide them with an adorable babylist. :) It worked great and our family and friends liked it a lot. Here is Jack's actual BabyList, so you can see a real example.
You sign up and install a "Add to BabyList" bookmark on your toolbar. Then, while you browse blogs, Amazons, stores, for baby products when you like an item you add it to your list instantly. You can even write a note. Then you give your private link to your friends and family - we added ours to our baby shower invitations.
People don't actually buy the items from BabyList because they are not a retailer but one can press "Reserve" on your BabyList item and then they buy it from anywhere they wish.

We chose babylist because we felt bad about the inflated prices out there on baby store registries and the limited choices. Beyond insanity.  And all of us new mommies should be after all educated consumers and apply our knowledge practically, no? We are going to make very important decisions about the well-being of another human being so why not start here? For example, when I looked at breastpumps, the Medela we wanted was $369.00 at Babies'r'us. But it was $329.00 at Diapers.com and a first time buyer at Diapers got 10% off so my pump bought from them ended up at $298.00 or so.

Besides the convenience of having everything in one place we decided to allow people the respect to buy us the item we requested but at the best price out there, not at the high individual retailers like babies'r'us prices. The baby stores' registry completion options are not-such-a-good offer masquerading as a deal because all the baby specialty stores who have them are a rip-off in the first place, and it is not worth registering with them and having all your friends/family pay much higher prices just so you can get 10% off the items on your registry that haven't been bought by the time your baby shower happens. And, some stores offer 5-10% back off the value of items that have sold from your registry, given to you in store credit. But even so, it is insulting to everyone who loves you and wants to give you gifts to rip them off just so your can get 10% back.

That's why a general registry list was great for us. Moreover, if you are missing items after your baby shower and really want that 10% off from babies'r'us for example, just create a registry with them with a made-up shower date. Let's say, your fake shower is Friday. Get a small item from your registry online, so at least something is bought (though you don't have to). On Saturday, go into the store and buy the rest at 10% off. I'd make a third point that we have plenty of coupons for 20% off baby items from these boxy baby retailers if you really need an item specifically from them and even the "fake" shower registry idea is not needed. Like I said, even with their 20% off promos you most likely will get better prices on Amazon or somewhere else, just do a Google Shopping search.

Again, for us, BabyList has worked wonderfully. Another pro is I keep using it even now and will for a long time. Its beauty is that I can add anything that was handed-down to me, gifted, bought by me and it is a list with images of everything the baby owns, with notes ( I just don't add the gifted clothes/books because it would be too much work but you can).
This is important because the baby has LOTS of things and you won't remember he has them in a box stuffed in the dusty basement or on the bottom shelf of your hallway closet. Visually seeing the vast amount of stuff you have can prevent you from overbuying things! Important!
Also, you will realize what a small percent of things owned are actually useful and how much goes unused or ignored - a lot! Cringe-worthy actually!
If you lend your items to other families when your baby outgrows them, which I highly recommend (reduces your footprint, storage space and helps everyone save money literally thrown away on such very transient baby stuff) you can quickly add a note on the item on BabyList to help you remember where your swing is (gave it to Lisa) in case your next baby needs it back, or if another friend wants it.

I also think it could be worthy keeping a list of baby items in one place in case something is defective and gets recalled. Also, I will be soon adding notes to the items so my BabyList can serve as a product guide for new parents out there - Jack's favorites, his not-so-favorites, the I-wish-I-didn't-buy-this-because-there-is-no-need/way-to-use-it-in-our-tiny-NYC-apartment item and so on.

That's it as to WHERE to register. What do you guys have in mind? Where did you register, thought about registering? We are so happy with the BabyList friendly interface and how well it has worked for us, Jack and all of our lovely, generous, sweet friends and family. Good luck with navigating the available products for your brand new, adorable baby. Do not stress, do not over do it. Remember: baby's favorite item will ALWAYS be YOU and safe, healthy and happy are most important. HAPPY REGISTERING!

Re: Where to Register and What to Register for?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"