Upstate NY Babies

Homemade buttercream frosting ?s

1. When I took the wilton course, they have you make it with all crisco-I assume bc it lasts longer and doesnt need refrigeration.  If a recipe calls for all butter, can you substitute crisco for it (and vice versa if it calls for all crisco)? Could you also do half butter/half crisco?  I've never made it with butter yet so I guess I just dont know the difference-I assume butter tastes better?  What do you use?

2. I've also seen some that call for heavy cream-can you use milk instead?

Re: Homemade buttercream frosting ?s

• This is the one I always use https://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing so it's got both butter and shortening in it and it uses milk. So my guess would be that yes you could do those things.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The shortening aka crisco is actually for decorating. It gives it a firmer texture and allows your frosting to physically hold up what you design :)
    Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • IMO frosting made w/ crisco tastes nasty. Plus I don't like to use hydrogenated vegetable fats... Crisco was originally manufactured to make candle wax! Not that buttercream is healthy for you, but at least butter is real and not chemically processed.

This is my favorite buttercream recipe, and yes, it uses heavy cream... which I think is key. It makes it thick and fluffy... using milk just thins it out. 

• I use the reciepe from kristen6107's blog.  It is delicious. I subsititute almond extract for vanilla. i love almond icing.
  • imagejewelsonu:
    I use the reciepe from kristen6107's blog.  It is delicious. I subsititute almond extract for vanilla. i love almond icing.

Do you have the link?

• imagebattybtags:

imagejewelsonu:
    I use the reciepe from kristen6107's blog.  It is delicious. I subsititute almond extract for vanilla. i love almond icing.

Do you have the link?

I don't have Kristen's blog link, but I think I remember her posting her recipe in the past when jewels was asking about frosting. It was a swiss meringue buttercream, which is my absolute favorite frosting ever! It is made w/ egg whites cooked w/ the sugar to form a meringue and then you whip it and slowly add in the butter. This is my go-to recipe (from Annie's Eats) and this post is great and really explaining the process. It's kinda tricky, takes a while and you MUST use a stand mixer to make it. But it is oh, so worth it! Super light, fluffy and not too sweet. You can add any flavor to it... fruit purees, chocolate, alcohol etc, etc. It stands up well to anything really.

• imageNikCole:
    imagebattybtags:

imagejewelsonu:

Do you have the link?

I don't have Kristen's blog link, but I think I remember her posting her recipe in the past when jewels was asking about frosting. It was a swiss meringue buttercream, which is my absolute favorite frosting ever! It is made w/ egg whites cooked w/ the sugar to form a meringue and then you whip it and slowly add in the butter. This is my go-to recipe (from Annie's Eats) and this post is great and really explaining the process. It's kinda tricky, takes a while and you MUST use a stand mixer to make it. But it is oh, so worth it! Super light, fluffy and not too sweet. You can add any flavor to it... fruit purees, chocolate, alcohol etc, etc. It stands up well to anything really.

Bummer-I don't have a stand mixer

• I haven't tried the swiss meringue yet.  here is the link

https://lepetitpierogi.blogspot.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"