3rd Trimester

green stool

i am 35 weeks pregnant and for the past two days my stool has been green i have not been drinking purple drinks and i dont eat much green foods have been on vitamins since 1 tri what could else could cause this i know its tmi

thank you 

Re: green stool

• Are you taking iron supplements?  Mine goes green sometimes because of that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you been eating anything high in fat content? Or started taking iron? It could also just be that your iron levels are maxed out, so your body is getting rid of what it doesn't need.

The only poop you should ever worry about is black tarry stool (old blood--aka upper gi bleed), large amounts of red stool (not streaked because that's usually just hemorrhoid; but large amounts of blood throughout your stool--aka lower gi bleed), or white stool--which is a sign of liver failure. 

A variety of brown and green poops are normal.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • have not changed anything in diet and i am not takeing iron supplements
  • imageJesse's Girl 10:
    Are you taking iron supplements?  Mine goes green sometimes because of that.

That would explain why mine has been green the past week.  I started iron supplements recently.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  •  I grew up with a fridge that color.  Never a stool, though.

(so not helpful, sorry.)

• imageNatalie&Mark:

I grew up with a fridge that color.  Never a stool, though.

(so not helpful, sorry.)

hahahahhah love it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It just means there's more bile than usual in your poop. It's not harmful at all, it happens when your food moves through your digestive system faster than normal and the bile doesn't have a chance to get reabsorbed in the colon. Bile is very acidic, so it might burn your skin on its way out.

A baby's poop is often green/yellow for the same reason.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am 7 weeks and noticed this also... I just started taking prenatal vitamins that also have Iron in them... an OB GYN friend said that this could be the cause. 
  • imagePotomacSt:

It just means there's more bile than usual in your poop. It's not harmful at all, it happens when your food moves through your digestive system faster than normal and the bile doesn't have a chance to get reabsorbed in the colon. Bile is very acidic, so it might burn your skin on its way out.

A baby's poop is often green/yellow for the same reason.

This! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"