Desert West OBGYN — The Bump
Phoenix Babies

Desert West OBGYN

Hey Y'all! My husband and now 2 year old son and I moved to Glendale/Phoenix last Jan (2011) and I am excited to have our second child here. (though NOT excited for the summer heat as a whale) Anyone else using Dr. DeSalvo at Desert West OBGYN on Thunderbird Rd? How do you like him....anyone have any previous experiences with this Dr or the facility and hospital (Banner). I am 16.5 weeks along.

Re: Desert West OBGYN

• I did not use that Dr. I used Dr. Koon also with Desert West. For the most part I really liked them, though if your Dr is not on call the day you go into labor you will deliver with another Dr with the practice so I highly recommend going to the meet the Dr's thing they do on the first Wednesday of every month.

Banner was excellent, however if you did not breastfeed with your first and are planning on doing so with this baby I would recommend taking a breastfeeding class somewhere else. I met with every lactation consultant at Banner Thunderbird and I don't feel like they helped me, everybody gave me different information. I was there for a week though because I had to have a C-section so I went through several nurses. But still everyone will give you different information.

You should do the hospital walk though at Banner as well because it was very informative and it was nice to see the rooms and know where to go when you go into labor or if you go in for any other reason.

Oh and if you dont like your nurse let your doctor or another nurse know and they will get you another nurse. They want you to be comfortable, both while in labor and in recovery. I was to nice to ask for a different one and ended up with this mean nurse who basically told me that there was no other way that I could push then on my back. 

Also with desert west be careful with their billing practices as the front staff will tell you different things based on who you speak with. Otherwise I really liked both Banner and Desert West, though like I said I used a different doctor then you. I do recommend Dr. Koon, he has always been super nice and helpful and easy to talk to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • awesome scmur18! That is some helpful advice, and I am glad you had a pleasant experience with Dr. Koon :-) 

I have heard about the "multiple Doctors" thing... I will ask him straight up about it on my next appointment this coming week. I did not know about the first Wed of every month Dr "get-to-know" thingy. Very nice! I was induced 2 days before my due date (though my water broke instantly that morning and I was ready to pop anyway) because my Dr had an unexpected funeral come (I guess most funerals are unexpected? haha) and was going to leave on my due date and not be back for a week or more...and I had already met the other Dr and strongly disliked him - so that is why I opted for inducement. It would be really helpful to know the other Drs here as well. Thanks again for the info :)

• i saw desalvo for my first pregnancy with my son and LOVED him. however, the second time around i wasn't happy at all. i feel like they got too busy, too many patients...i'm not sure what it was but he was very different this time. i always felt so rushed through my appointments and felt like he was just going through the motions at every appointment and when he asked if i had any questions, i didn't really feel like he wanted me to actually ask him anything, and when i did it just seemed like he was annoyed (and ps i'm not one of those people who asking 10000 questions and freak out about everything lol, so it wasn't me!).

i ended up switching at 30 weeks to the midwives at bethany women's healthcare and am very happy i did. i didn't really feel like he'd be very on board with my birth plan and also wanted to deliver at a hospital that was more supportive of natural births (phx baptist)

i saw dr jaacks once, she's was super rude to me. i've also seen dr koon and he was really cool. i also love their NP debbie, she did ultrasounds for me every chance she got!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image scmur18:

Banner was excellent, however if you did not breastfeed with your first and are planning on doing so with this baby I would recommend taking a breastfeeding class somewhere else. I met with every lactation consultant at Banner Thunderbird and I don't feel like they helped me, everybody gave me different information. I was there for a week though because I had to have a C-section so I went through several nurses. But still everyone will give you different information.

OMG YES! the LC at thunderbird was totally useless. not helpful at all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I know it was ridiculous and the NP Debbie is totally awesome she Always did an ultrasound for me too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just wanted to jump in this thread to say hi! I will be seeing Dr. Tom at Desert West and am excited to read this feedback regarding Desert West and Banner Thunderbird. (And also to "meet" some North/West Valley peeps!). I mostly hang on the Oct 2012 board but will try to remember to come back here and hang out a bit, too.
  • Good to hear your experience with Dr. DeSalvo! The first 2 times I met with him I was a little turned off with his fast approach and quickness on everything. I thought maybe he was just a normal OB though, and that I was so extremely spoiled with my first one (in a different state) - but at the third appointment and since then he has been very friendly, informative, and has gone out of his way to do things! Also, I recently had a friend deliver at Thunderbird and had a wonderful experience. I had another recently deliver at Arrowhead too and had a great time. So I bet it really depends on a) your birth, b) your nurse for the day, and c) your attitude and expectations. ........ I have the gender ultrasound tomorrow! little over 19 weeks now, excited!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards