Preemies
Options

apena

so i call nicu today to check on wyatt, he had his 1st "spell" as they call it. nurse said his oxygen dropped to about 70% he wasnt choking or gaging so it was considered apena. he is 33 weeks gestational age today, 2 weeks actual age. how does everyone deal with this? my poor little guys is in a hospital 70 miles away from us, i want to get in the car and drive there everytime something changes but i just cannot with gas prices the way they are... it breaks my heart being a FTM 70 miles away is the hardest thing ever.

Re: apena

• Options
    I live really close to the hospital. I know it sucks but is there anyone your know that lives close to the hospital that you could stay with for a while? Hope he feels better.
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Options
    It is hard.  (hugs)))
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my sister in law lives close, we go up there on sundays and come home monday evening. these are my husbands days off. my step daughter lives with us so if i go up there and stay through the week i feel guilty for leaving her. i do go up through the week as much as i can, but the longer he is there the harder it is. i am sure this is how we all feel. we watch them growing, getting bigger, and stronger and it makes it harder to leave them... i cannot wait untill the day we can all be moms from home, with our little ones there with us!!!
  • Options
    I'm sorry!  Having a LO in the NICU is hard and being so far away is even harder.  My boys were at a hospital 100 miles away for the first 5 weeks until we transferred them closer to home.  We were very lucky that the hospital kept wing of rooms for out of town NICU parents to stay in free of charge. I still came home once or twice a week and it was so difficult leaving them. If it makes you feel any better at 33 weeks, my boys were having apneas and brady's very frequently.  They still had a couple episodes near to discharge time. They came home with apnea monitors at 38 weeks and we didn't really have any problems.  Most preemies tend to out grow it closer to their due dates.
  • Options
    *hugs* I know it is hard being so far away when they're so little.  I also had a 31 weeker who had apneas and bradys for quite awhile.  She is now 7 months actual (5 adj) and we just lost the monitor that we came home with (but I hear that we are the exception, not the rule to have it for so long).  It will get easier, I promise!  The first month with the monitor was the worst part, but after awhile for us it became routine to respond to the alarms and kind of "our normal".  I hope that helps!  Know that you're not alone :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"