School-Aged Children
Options

book recs for homeschooling

DH came across an interesting article last week about homeschooling and we are now looking into it. Does anyone have any books that they would recommend for a general overview of homeschooling? We aren't on board yet, but are open to the idea.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: book recs for homeschooling

• Options

"Home Learning Year by Year"

"Homeschooling for Dummies"

"The Unschooling Handbook"

Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options

Ditto the previous recommendations.  Linda Dobson is one author in particular that we really like.

I would also check out www.hslda.org  for resources, such as state requirements, etc.  

We (well, DH actually) homeschool our children (7, 5 1/2, and 23 months) and have since DD#1 was preschool age.  It works well for our family and we have a great network of support of other homeschooling families in our area.

There are tons of resources on the Internet as well - almost to the point of too much information!

DD#1 11/7/04 DS#1 6/24/06 Chemical Pregnancy 6/08 DD#2 1/28/10 after secondary infertility, Clomid, & acupuncture missed m/c 6/2010 at 8 weeks (baby stopped growing @ 5.5) DS born sleeping 1/13/2011 due to cord accident at 22 weeks. DD#3 3/10/2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We plan to homeschool, and I was actually reading about it before I was even pregnant.  I liked reading The Well-Trained Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer.  It's about the classical method.  Also, I second the recommendation for books by Linda Dobson, she gives a really good overview.
  • Options
    We pulled our son out of preschool because the requirements to prepare for kindergarden were not being met in our eyes. I can't reccommend books but we got curriculumm from teachers from moms who teach but also my kids fell in love with the online program abcmouse.com. You pay monthly or yearly and it brings a little extra fun to the home enviornment and they never want to stop playing it.
  • Options

How Children Fail

How Children Learn

by John Holt

I also enjoy reading anything by Charlotte Mason, and Magda Gerber (infant/toddler development).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"