Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Car Seats for dummies :/

So my dilemma is that im going to be a FTM of 2 in May and have no idea about carseats.  We've looked at the aisles of carseats at several stores and got overwhelmed.  We need one that does not need a base so that we can take the carseats into daycare with the babies and then if my mom needs to pick them up because we have to work late, etc, she needs to be able to put those carseats in her car without a base.  I guess I don?t get what the base is for. 

We also don?t necessarily need one that is multi stage since those looked to be HUGE and with having to put 2 in the backseat im not sure we?ll have room for anything else.  I know some come with a booster but I am fine getting separate boosters when the time comes.  For now we just want a carseat that is functional for moving from car to car without bases. 

Can anyone help me understand difference in carseats and recommend one that will fit our needs?

Thanks guys!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Car Seats for dummies :/

• Options

This list should help you:

https://www.lucieslist.com/1-car-seats-and-rtollers/

Also, infant seats come with a base, but they are optional.  You can either buy extra bases or strap the car seat into the car with the seat belt. (read the owners manual for correct installation)

The better ease of use car seats are Graco, Chicco and Britax. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

I have not heard of any car seats that don't come with bases....if so, I can only imagine what a struggle it would be to properly secure them in a car every time you take them in and out.

We have 1 car seat, and 3 bases (me, my husband, and my sister in case she ever picks the baby up).  The purpose of the base is that this is what anchors the seat to your car.  The base is latched in/installed into the car and then all you have to do is click the carseat into it.  Pull them out....click them in.  The base stays in the car. 

So I would go with an infant car seat (we have the Chicco Key Fit 30, which goes up to 30lbs), and just get a few extra bases.  After you are through the infant car seat stage (when the babies hit 20-30lbs or whenever you feel and don't want to carry the heavy car seat anymore), you will want to move into a convertible car seat.  They can range from allowing 0-100lbs -- so obviously there are some convertible seats that can be used from birth.  For convenience, I liked having the infant carseat FIRST because you can take it out of the car when the baby is sleeping, and then moved into the convertible car seats when they're bigger. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    With twins on the way, make sure the seat you get can go down to a very low weight, just in case.  The keyfit 30 can be used with babies down to 4 lbs.  I would think that with 2 you'd want to start with infant seats then move up to the convertibles.  Your little ones may get more use out of the infant seats since twins are usually smaller and will use them longer unless you have fast growers.  Plus twins often have to go through carseat challenges before leaving the hospital (most hospitals have this rule for babies born<37 wks) and infant seats are much easier to do this with than convertibles
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Good info here..im learning, thanks!

So where do you get extra bases at?  i havent seen just bases sold at BRU, target etc.  I guess the base does sound easier - so i could always get 2 extra bases for my mom.  Do you just click in the seat and go?  Sorry for all the questions!

• Options

You can get extra bases at pretty much any baby retailer as well as online at amazon.com, diapers.com, albeebaby.com, etc.

The base is the portion that stays installed in the car, and the infant bucket seat clicks in and out of the base when you are on the go.  Go to a store and play with some seats.  I second the recommendation for seats that accommodate lower weight babies since you are expecting multiples.

• Options

You can find bases pretty much anywhere (we bought our two extra bases from BRU, one for DH's car and one for my moms car). I think the extra bases for our Chicco Keyfit30 were in the $80 range, but to me its worth it for sake of ease.

To answer your second question, the base stays in the car and the infant seat snaps out of it, and back in when you're ready to go. IMO its much easier to snap the seat in the base versus getting in the car and  trying to feed the seatbelt through the seat guides. As PP said, go to BRU and ask to test fit seats in your car if you're worried about fitment. If you don't want to purchase more than one set of extra bases the Chicco Keyfit30 has an easy install base IMO. 

Baby Hadley Grace - Born at 34 Weeks and 6 Days - Our little NICU miracle baby!
  • Options
    imagegreyeyes15:

Good info here..im learning, thanks!

So where do you get extra bases at?  i havent seen just bases sold at BRU, target etc.  I guess the base does sound easier - so i could always get 2 extra bases for my mom.  Do you just click in the seat and go?  Sorry for all the questions!

Yep, click & go.  You can get through all the fussing while you're in the house/building to get them all buckled in, tucked in with a blanket, etc....then just carry them to the car, click them in and go. 

• Options
    I also suggest getting the Baby Trend double snap n go stroller frame.  You can pop the car seats right into it. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    imageLittleApple:

This list should help you:

https://www.lucieslist.com/1-car-seats-and-rtollers/

Also, infant seats come with a base, but they are optional.  You can either buy extra bases or strap the car seat into the car with the seat belt. (read the owners manual for correct installation)

The better ease of use car seats are Graco, Chicco and Britax. 

This was a very very informative site, on many other things besides car seats!  thank you so much for this!  i now have a very good idea of what we need to get! 

• Options

Because you're having twins, and are new to car seats in general, I highly suggest looking at The Car Seat Lady. Take a look at the Tips and Tricks sections, specifically for preemies and newborns, then look at the buying guide, and the section on rear facing seats.

You will eventually need two "huge multistage" car seats eventually. Convertibles take over when your lo's outgrow the infant seat, or when using them becomes a hassle. The AAP recommendation is to rear face in a car seat to a minimum of age 2, and if you end up delivering early, then it would be by developmental age, not chronological. Some convertibles take up less space rear facing than others, and when the time comes, the Car Seat Lady and www.car-seat.org are fantastic resources.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"