Pre-School and Daycare
Options

SAHM's and Preschool

How many days/hours does your child go to Pre-K?  My son started when he was 3 going from 8-12:30 2 days a weel.  When Lila was born, we had him stay to take a nap, so he stays until 3:45 now.  With breastfeeding her, and opposite nap schedules, I felt like I needed him there. We could just go 3 mornings, but I really like having 2 full days to do things just with the baby.

Most of his friends are switching to 3 days a week for Pre-K.  I honestly feel guilty sending him that much, especially if he still stays to take a  nap.  I feel like it is his last year before Kindergarten and I feel like he should just be able to relax and we can do fun things.  But honestly, we will probably just be at the gym if he does not go that 3rd day. Plus, I am a better mother to him on the days he goes to school.

Kellen loves schoool, and I want what is best for him academically and if most kids go 3 days, I am thinking he should.  He would be on opposite days with his friends.  We have all day Kindegarten here.  What is everyone else doing?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: SAHM's and Preschool

• Options
    DS is going 2 days. I would rather him not go at all, but I know it is good for him. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    If he's still going to be there all day- I'd probably stick w/ 2. Mine will be going 3 days for a maximum of 3 hours. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine goes 3hrs/day 3x/wk this year, and next year he'll go 3hrs/day 4x/wk.  (2yrs of preschool before kgarten).

• Options

Mine 4 year old goes 3 days a week 8-12.  He started last summer and for summer she runs it as "camps" so you're only option is 5 full days a week but you can pick and choose weeks.  I was worried it would be too much, too fast but he loved it. 

I agree with being a better parent on preschool days and I really appreciate the time I finally get to be 1-1 with my younger son.  They're only 15 months apart so he missed out on that special baby time.

Would your son not nap if you brought him home at noon and then put him down for his nap?  I guess the reality is if he is napping then does it really matter if he naps at school or home, it's not time you are going to be playing with him anyway so make the choice that works best for your family.  If that means 3 semi full days then go for it.

• Options
    Next year he will be going five days a week from 9-11:30. His school doesn't offer extended hours. If it did, I would have considered 3 full days a week instead. Kindergarten is full day here, so I don't want the adjustment to be too traumatic. He doesn't deal well with change.
  • Options
    I live in Florida and down here it is standard for children to go to VPK 5 half days a week the year prior to entering Kindergarten. I work from home so I could technically keep my oldest son home with me but I know that he loves school and learns more academically and socially there than I could teach him.
    Hawaii
  • Options
    i work part time (2 or 3 days a week) and my older son goes to daycare 3 days - it's a full preK class curriculum.   The twins go 2 days/week now, but I'm thinking of moving them to 3 days/week next year.... for the extra curriculum time.
    I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options
    My oldest went 2 and 1/2 hours/2 days a week the 1st yr and 2 and 1/2 hours/3 days a week the 2nd year. He actually got into a magnate school that would have required him to be full tim and it was free, buti don't see a need for my child to take a nap (required) when he was no longer napping too. I would rather spend time with him. Now, my middle son goes 4 mornings a week for 2 and 1/2 hours, but he is in for speech services and next yr the upped the services to 5 afternoons a week. It is funny because he has mondays off and I love having him home! I am also holding out my youngest... they will be in school full time sooh enough. While I would love a break from them sometimes, I love spending time with all of them together.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

This would be for the fall.  Lila will be down to one nap, and I don't know if Kellen will be napping at all.  Most days he naps for 90 minutes, and if he doesn't he does quiet time in is room instead and then gets to watch tv after that until Lila wakes up.

I think I have decided I don't want him there 3 full days.  I could have him go M/W/F from 8-12:30 and let him stay one day to take a nap and then stay for soccer class until 3:30.  We pay extra for the soccer class.  So it is either that or 8-3:30 T/TH.  And honestly I really like T/TH right now.

Kellen also has speech therapy with our school district two mornings a week.  If he goes to preschool 3 days/week next year, they said he could drop down to 1 day a week of speech.  My grandparents also like to take him for an all day visit every week or two.  I'm seeing now if he goes 3 days, that leaves no days where we can just stay home or hang out.  And I like doing that sometimes.  I have to decide by March 1.    Also, if he goes 3 days, we won't be able to have playdates with the 2 friends we have playdates with because they will be on the T/TH schedule at different preschools.

So my instinct is T/TH but I want want is best for his education and him socially as well.  I had considered switching him to a montessori (he is in a Catholic school right now) but he doesn't want to leave his friends.  So I would hate for him to be on opposite days as his friends. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Last year, DS1 went to preschool 5 days a week for 3.5 hours. It was at a private school that we planned on keeping him in if we hadn't moved and that was the least amount of time offered.

This year he is in PreK at a different school and goes 4 days a week for 2.5 hours. There is the option of full day but we didn't feel like that was the right choice for him yet.

Next year he will be in full day kindergarten.  

• Options
    DD goes 3x a week for 3 hours.  It is a good amount of time.  She is home by 11:45 and that along with the 2 other days is a lot of time to be able to spend with her.  She really needs the challenges of preschool, social interaction, and learning.  Even though we do plenty of educational stuff at home, I think she flourishes with the consistency and discipline of preschool.
  • Options
    My daughter goes 5 days a week and she loves it. She even asks to go on the weekends. She goes 9-1 two days a week and 8-2 three days a week. DD tends to get very stir-crazy if she does not go to preschool. Initially, I didn't want her to go 5 days a week but I am now happy that she is there 5 days a week. It has helped her grow so much socially.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Options
    DS goes 5 days a week 8:30-11:30.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DS goes 3 half days this year. It will be his only year of preschool before Kindergarten. K will be half day so I felt like 3 half days was enough.

We are moving so DD will be going to a different preschool. I have looked at a few and 2 of the 3 that were recommended are half days(8:30-12) and the other one is full day(8:30-2). If we choose a half day, she will go 3 days but if we chose the full day she will only go 2 days.

I think you need to do what is best for you LO. Do you think he will be okay in a class with new friends? Are any of his friends only going to go 2 days? 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Last year, DD1 went for 2 mornings/week, 3 hours.

This year, she goes 3 mornings/week.

Our district just switched to full-day Kindi, so next year, DD will go to PreK 3 full days a week (MWF) to prepare her for K. This is what all of her friends are doing, though to be perfectly honest, I'm a bit torn about sending her that much when she doesn't *need* to be going (like elementary). But at the same time, she loves it and I know it's great for her...

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options

DD goes three full days a week ~ it's a preschool/regular school, so starting at Pre-3, they stay the full day.  You can pick and choose the days, but it's not an MDO and they have a curriculum.  She goes from 8-3:15, and then she's in after school until between 4-4:30.

I help my mom with my dad's estate and running our family business, plus I have my own organizing business, so I need the three days a week to do "work".  The other two days a week are "mommy days", as we call them, and we do playdates (I run a moms' group on Meetup.com), Bible study, errands, dance class, grocery store, and just playing.  

It's the perfect balance for us.  She loves her school and learns SO much, and she's extremely social, so she needs to be away from me and with other kids/authoritarian figures.  We are a one and done family, so she's the only child, and I like that she has so much socialization. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Right now he goes Monday and Wednesday mornings from 9am-11:15am. It is a co-op so I have to participate every other Monday. In the fall he will go Monday, Wednesday and Friday (4 year old program). DS#2 will also be starting the toddler program which is every Friday from 9am-11:15am. Our preschool is structured play based and he loves it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    DS started this past September at 3.5. He goes 4 mornings a week, 8:20 - 11 am. If it were up to me, he probably wouldn't be in school yet, but he had a severe speech delay and the program was strongly recommended. He really likes it and it's worked well for his speech, but I do feel like adding 2 years of preschool on top of the mandatory kindergarten to grade 12 years is a lot. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This is my daughter's 2nd year at her school and since she's started, we've always had her on a full-time schedule; Mon.-Fri. 8:30-3:25.  She was 2 3/4 when she started and is now 4 and she loves it.  Most of the children in her class do full-time schedules as well.  While I can't speak for the other parents, I can say that because her school is full immersion in 3 different languages, missing school makes it "easy" to fall behind.  The school does offer a part-time schedule (3 days a week all day) but I don't see many parents taking up that offer.  The curriculum isn't rigorous and it isn't that much different from any other school, other than the different languages.  

Having her in school works all day for our family because I SAH and having her home makes it difficult for me to get the things done that I need to.  My daughter's personality is one that needs constant stimulation and interaction and school allows her to get those things in a safe place and with children her age to socialize with.  She loves it and she's always proud to show me what she accomplished at school each day.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

They go 2 mornings a week for 3 hrs. It's a 2's class (they just turned 3 in January and we started sendingt hem a week later).

In the fall they'll be in a 3's class 3 mornings a week and at 4 they'll go 5 mornings a week (at which point I plan to return to work PT).

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"