If you chose RCS over VBAC... — The Bump
C-sections

If you chose RCS over VBAC...

Why did you decide RCS over trying for a VBAC?

I'm not expecting #2 yet. DH wants me to just have a RCS next time. I originally wanted to try for a VBAC, then I decided I'd just do a RCS (I'm afraid to try for the VBAC and end up with a c-section again). My first delivery I felt so out of it that I didn't feel present in her birth. I want to feel present the 2nd time around and I feel like a RCS will be the best way to go. But on the otherhand I feel like I may be disappointed if I don't at least try.

How did you decide?

 


Re: If you chose RCS over VBAC...

  • My 1st c/s was due to failure to progress after 28 hours of labor, many of them very hard on pitocin with a failing epi.  I had no desire to go through that again only to come home with a baby to a toddler.  And, my OB didn't think I was a good VBAC candidate either.  I would have tried if I'd gone into labor on my own before my c/s, but DD was showing no signs of coming anytime soon. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I got pg 6months after having DS1 and my OB's office doens't like doing a vbac that close plus you have to go into labor on your own and you can't go past the day you turn 41wks. For me thorugh it was more personal, I knew if I had 1 c/s then the rest would be rcs. My sister was in the small percentage that has a raptured uterus when trying for a vbac and that was the scariest thing I've ever witnessed.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm going the RCS route b/c I've done it before and don't have to face the unknowns. I was afraid with a VBAC I'd run into complications and have to have an "emergency" RCS which is just something I REALLY REALLY don't want.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am choosing to have a rcs over vbac because I didn't want to labor and get nowhere again, just to have end up with an emergency cs.  Plus, I am planning on getting my tubes tied while they already have me open.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I had a pretty good recovery from my first c/s and preferred to go through something I already knew wasn't that bad.  I don't really feel a strong desire to experience vaginal birth.  Plus I had my RCS at a smallish hospital and was a little nervous about whether it would be adequate in case I tried for a VBAC and ended up with another emergency c/s.  I was happy with my RCS - I did end up going into labor before my scheduled surgery date and it took a few hours for them to get the surgical team together, but even so it was a much calmer experience than DD's birth.  I will admit, there was a moment when I realized that I had let go of pretty much any chance to have a vaginal birth, but for me it was more of a "oh well" than any sort of regret.  If you think you'll regret not trying for a vaginal birth, though, that's one thing to take into consideration, especially if you want a large family (we don't, but that's one factor my OBs advised me to consider).

    Oh, and my DH also wanted me to have an RCS.  If I'd felt strongly about it I probably would have tried to convince him that a VBAC was best, and if he'd felt strongly that I should have a VBAC then I might have tried for one, but his feelings did confirm my decision, and considering the first time around was as scary for him as it was for me, I figured he had some say in whether we risked a similar birth experience again.

    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I chose RCS with #2 because I loved my OB and he didn't do VBAC, so it didn't even cross my mind.  One OB I interviewed up here (we moved after having DD) was open to a VBA2C, but in the end, I just am not interested.  I've had really great c/s experiences, and will hopefully have a 3rd great experience.  My worst case scenario (birth-wise) is to labor THEN need a c/s (and perhaps an emergency one) and I want to avoid that at all costs.  Additionally, I'm not totally comfortable with the risks.  Sure, there are c/s risks, too - but I just feel like there's a reason so many OBs are against VBAC.  

    But for me, mainly, it's that I don't feel like I missed out on anything at all.  I have no desire to go through labor or to feel a baby coming out of my vagina.  I feel confident that my births are every bit as important and beautiful as anyone else's, so I just didn't feel the need to try another method when the c/s method has worked out so well for me in the past.

    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The reason for my 1st c/s was more b/c of me than DD, so there was a pretty good chance the same thing would happen again. I didn't want to take a chance and end up with an emergency c/s and not be able to be awake. There are also very few doctors and hospitals in my area that do them, and there's probably a good reason for that!


    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStephanie2167:

    Why did you decide RCS over trying for a VBAC?

    I'm not expecting #2 yet. DH wants me to just have a RCS next time. I originally wanted to try for a VBAC, then I decided I'd just do a RCS (I'm afraid to try for the VBAC and end up with a c-section again). My first delivery I felt so out of it that I didn't feel present in her birth. I want to feel present the 2nd time around and I feel like a RCS will be the best way to go. But on the otherhand I feel like I may be disappointed if I don't at least try.

    How did you decide?

     

    I was also scared of trying for a VBAC and just ending up with another c/s. But I also knew that if I didn't try for a VBAC, I would regret it.  I didn't want to give up my shot at vaginal birth just because I was afraid to take the risk of ending up with another cesarean anyway.  I know not everyone feels that way but I did.  I think you have to decide whether it is worth that risk or not.

    I also wanted to avoid the medical complications that can come with having multiple cesareans.  You should think about how many kids you want to have.  The more cesareans you have, the higher risk you have of serious placenta complications in future pregnancies, which can be life-threatening to the mom and baby.  VBAC carries the risk of uterine rupture so you need to weigh those risks.  The bottom line is that VBAC carries a small but serious risk to the baby and RCS carries a small but serious risk to the mother, but both are overall safe and usually end with a healthy mom and healthy baby.

    In the end I chose to try a VBAC and I had a wonderful vaginal birth.  There is a VBAC board here on the bump if you want to ask questions or just lurk.  GL! 

    image

    Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for posting this - I'm not expecting #2 yet either but am curious what other previous c/s moms were planning for the next time around.

    I am still a little bummed that I "missed out" on a vaginal delivery.  I didn't get the experience of contractions, pushing, baby on chest, etc.. and that makes me a little sad but at the same time - the c/s (scheduled) was safest for both of us and it went great so I have no complaints in that department.  Just kinda wish I could have actually labored... or something.  I want a VBAC for that experience but highly doubt my doctor is going to sign off on it. 

    I suppose I need to just be thankful for the experience I had and just let this go but I'm SO curious about what a vaginal delivery is like that I can't help it.

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I was induced and after cervadil and pitocin I still had not dialated at all. The dr was going in to break my water and he stopped and said no let's just do a csection now instead of having to do an emergency one later on.

    The doctors were able to take their time and I was awake and alert the whole time during the procedure. When my son was delievered I was told that even if they would have broke my water and I would have went through labor I would not have had him vaginally and it would have been an emergency csecion. He was 8lbs 6ozs coming out at 38 weeks, 6 days. They said his head was way too big to pass through my hips.

    Knowing that and knowing that my dr then would not have done a vbac I will choose to do another csection. The doctor here suggested it and I said no because of the risks that my previous doctor explained and with the issues I had of my son being big with a big head. The risk isn't worth it to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards