North Carolina Babies

We are so in love. Birth Story (Long)

I've been adjusting to the life of a Mommy and let me tell you, it's emotional, so I haven't been around much.Owen Matthew was born on Sunday February 19th at 5:37 P.M. I was actually scheduled to be induced on Sunday night at 5:00, but he had his own plans and I am so glad that he came on his own.I started having contractions on Friday morning around 3:00 A.M. I had an appointment for an NST that morning at 10:00 anyways, so I didn't call or anything I just went in for my appointment. As soon as they hooked me up my contractions were showing up, but my doctor said she was just going to let them take their course and that they would probably see me before Sunday night. All day on Friday they progressively got stronger and more consistent, but I was still running around doing errands and going about my day. Saturday night, holy sheesh, they intensified.We woke up Saturday morning and called and they told us to go ahead and come in. We get there, go through triage and they have me get up to walk around for an hour to see if I progressed any on my own and the walking actually slowed them down. So they sent me home and I was still dying from contractions, but Doctors orders. I didn't really understand why they didn't just keep me because I was coming back to be induced in less than 24 hours anyways. So home we went and went for another long walk for over an hour around our neighborhood and my contractions almost completely stopped. I was honestly a little relieved because I was in so much pain for 2 days now and I was running on no sleep, so I decided as soon as they stopped I was going to get some rest. I woke up around 12:30 Sunday A.M. in the worst pain of my life. My contractions for the past 2 days were like playing on the playground compared to what I was having then. I walked around the house for about 2 hours to make sure they weren't slowing down and that this was the real deal before I went back to the hospital.As soon as I showed up they went ahead and admitted me and set me all up and gave me some good drugs to help me sleep through the contractions before they broke my water because I was so utterly exhausted from being in labor for over 2 days now. So they break my water around 11:00 A.M. and lets just say I got my epidural shortly after that and it rocked. It was awesome because I could still feel my legs.As my labor progressed I was starting to run a fever. As soon as it was time for me to push they checked and said he was sunny side up so they had me in different positions trying to flip him and it was so uncomfortable. They checked my temperature at one point during this transition and it was 101.2 so they had to run and get the Doctor. They came back in and told me that in order to rule out chorioamnionitis they had to start me on antibiotics before I could push and this is where it turns into a nightmare. I had to lay there with the pressure to push for over an hour and half while they fed the medicine into my IV and my epidural was wearing off. I honestly thought I was going to die. Every time I had a contraction the pressure to push was so intense my body was almost convulsing because I was basically keeping him forced in. It  was horrible. But as soon as the antibiotics were finished they allowed me to push immediately because he had flipped. I only pushed once and the nurse called for the Doctor because they could already see his head.After only 15 minutes of pushing I had my sweet boy in my arms and the last grueling 3 days of labor was worth every minute of it. He was perfect. He was 9 pounds 2 oz. and 21 inches long. I was able to skin to skin with him and bond for about 10 minutes before they whisked him away to the NICU so spend the next 48 hours because of the chorioamnionitis. He had to have an IV of antibiotics and lots of tests done to ensure he didn't have any infections as well as Mommy. It was an emotional roller coaster of emotions when they told me that had to take him from me. Heartbreaking. All in all, all of the results came back negative and we are both happy and healthy. DH and I spent almost all of our days of our hospital stay with our sweet boy in the NICU.We are so in love with him and are still trying to get him into a routine at home. I'll try and post a picture later :)

Re: We are so in love. Birth Story (Long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"