Attachment Parenting

Confused about When to babywear

I'm a little confused about when to baby wear. It seems like Dr. Sears says to wear baby all the time but to put baby down for naps and bedtime. With a newborn though, most of their day is spent sleeping, so should I only wear baby while she's alert (a couple hours per day) and put her down when she falls asleep?  Or should I wear her regardless of whether she's sleeping or awake as long as she's content?

Re: Confused about When to babywear

• I agree, just do what works for you. Honestly, I ended up wearing him for naps for ages because he went to sleep without any fuss that way. We transitioned out of it eventually, and he now naps in his crib. More wearing reduces the whole "flat head" thing, so it's great in the early months.

• imagetokenhoser:

I agree, just do what works for you. Honestly, I ended up wearing him for naps for ages because he went to sleep without any fuss that way. We transitioned out of it eventually, and he now naps in his crib. More wearing reduces the whole "flat head" thing, so it's great in the early months.

Ditto. Go by your mood and what you want to do. Wearing allowed us to go our and do things while allowing DS to get in plenty of sleep. If you need some space, put baby down. If you need extra cuddles just because, wear baby. Being near you/on you is an amazing gift to give your baby who was just "held" 24/7 since conception, but if you need space--that is ok, too! Let your instincts guide you.

Wearing is great for avoiding a flat head and wearing also strengthens some of the same muscles that tummy time does, but without creating a miserably hysterical baby if your baby hates tummy time.

• Loading the player...
  • imagepixieprincss:
    imagetokenhoser:

I agree, just do what works for you. Honestly, I ended up wearing him for naps for ages because he went to sleep without any fuss that way. We transitioned out of it eventually, and he now naps in his crib. More wearing reduces the whole "flat head" thing, so it's great in the early months.

Ditto. Go by your mood and what you want to do. Wearing allowed us to go our and do things while allowing DS to get in plenty of sleep. If you need some space, put baby down. If you need extra cuddles just because, wear baby. Being near you/on you is an amazing gift to give your baby who was just "held" 24/7 since conception, but if you need space--that is ok, too! Let your instincts guide you.

Wearing is great for avoiding a flat head and wearing also strengthens some of the same muscles that tummy time does, but without creating a miserably hysterical baby if your baby hates tummy time.

I've actually recently heard that worn babies are also more content and smarter as well. I agree with this though, Whatever works best for you is right, I baby wear to get things done when little missy doesn't want to be down. She doen't care for carry's that she can sleep in though.
  • You can wear baby anytime!  When DD was really little, she could fall asleep while I did light housework, like sweeping or folding laundry.  Now that she's a little older, I wear her when I feel like she needs some mommy time, like if we've been out running errands or we haven't had much snuggle time.  I also do it when she's fussing and is having a tough time falling asleep.  She seems to fuss a little bit but then will fall asleep and take longer naps when she's wrapped up with me. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Thanks everyone!  You pretty much confirmed what my gut said. I just need other people to help me chill about stuff. 

• I didn't wear her a lot at home. Although I did hold her for naps etc., I was still able to put her down if I needed to. I wore her out religiously for months, probably 5. She would sleep or just look around and I could have lunch with my friend's, shop, walk the dog etc. I adored that period of closeness with her and my heart hurts a bit every time I see a Mom wearing a tiny baby and my kid won't sit still for more than two minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"