Maryland Babies
Options

Food suggestions

I would like to start moving away from the pouches to actual "people food" since LO is now 10 months. He will eat banana and strawberries... but what are good starter foods that are easy to pack for daycare for him to try?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Food suggestions

• Options
    DS loves Cheerios, puffs, mum-mums.  He had no teeth until 11 months and was eating those foods at 9 months.  He gummed things like a champ!  I should buy stock in the mum-mums.  Sometimes all DS will eat is mum-mums, especially when he goes on his mini food strikes.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

For table food, we give DS diced cooked fruit (apples, pears, peaches), diced cooked veggies (peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, corn), shredded/diced chicken or ham, plain pasta or rice, Cheerios, puffs.

Our DC provides table food and they've given him noodles, ham, chicken nuggets, green beans, apples, and Goldfish.

DS has 5 teeth, but he doesn't really use them for eating. We don't give him anything big enough for him to take a bite out of so the small pieces just get gummed.

ETA: For the fruits and veggies, I either buy bags of frozen veggies or buy fresh fruits, dice them, cook them briefly, then freeze in a ziplock. This way it's easy to pull out a tiny portion at a time.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've given DD blueberries and I usually send a small container of veggies. I buy a bag of frozen veggies and then just put a small amount in a container the night before so it thaws by the time she has lunch.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. LO loves puffs - and he does like the mum mums, but we only give those to him at special occasions (i.e. eating in a restaurant!) LO is getting his 7th tooth in, but I don't think he uses them to eat. But, I love the frozen veggie idea... my DC is more than happy to work with him on eating if I bring in stuff. I just need something easy and quick to prepare for him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We did baby led weaning and mostly gave DD "chunks" of food not really diced up (even when she didn't have teeth).

Steamed baby carrots, brocolli or cauliflower, mandarin orange segments.  They are a good size for kids to handle on their own.  Lots of egg noddles or penne w/ a little butter and sprinkle of cheese, pieces of cheese - either cheese sticks or sliced; black beans and rice, turkey or beef meatballs or even pieces of hamburger, grilled chicken bite.

I got a couple of thermoses (sp?) and sent DD's warm food like that.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

We did baby led weaning and mostly gave DD "chunks" of food not really diced up (even when she didn't have teeth).

Steamed baby carrots, brocolli or cauliflower, mandarin orange segments.  They are a good size for kids to handle on their own.  Lots of egg noddles or penne w/ a little butter and sprinkle of cheese, pieces of cheese - either cheese sticks or sliced; black beans and rice, turkey or beef meatballs or even pieces of hamburger, grilled chicken bite.

We did this too, except we didn't have to send food to daycare, its provided.  Mandrine oranges was a huge hit in out house, avacado too.  Steamed veggies, baked fruits (I would put a little cinnamon on the pears and apples).  Whatever we were eating for dinner went on her tray.  Cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream (she still loves it and it was a craving during pregnancy for me) - they make a huge mess but she had fun eating them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Claire's current favorites are string cheese, yogurt, steamed veggies (carrots are her favorite) and shredded chicken.  She is REALLY interested in what we're eating as well (she'll scream at me if I don't share) so I usually give her some of what we're having too.  

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • Options
    Ditto what Kathryn said. My DD still doesn't have teeth, but you'd be surprised how much she can gum, including pizza crusts and cheddar bunnies (like Goldfish).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"