Nurseries and Baby Gear

Bumper Pads?

I've read all the articles out there against bumper pads, etc.  However, we have a older crib, which is the same one that my brother and I grew up in.  So, it's been around probably since 1979.  We used it for our daughter (now almost 3) and we plan on using it for this baby that is coming in May.  My question is - I see that they advise against bumper pads now, but do you need them for an older crib that might have gaps in the corners?

Re: Bumper Pads?

• imagemj.reilly:

Well, this is why they have safety standards for cribs (and why older models get recalled). I wouldn't use a crib that didn't meet those safety standards.

Bumper pads + crib with gaps in the corners = scared for child's safety

I would get a new crib. There are plenty of affordable options (>$150) that meet safety standards and are highly rated.

i was going to say the same thing.  i wouldn't risk LO's safety with a bumper or an old crib.  get a new crib.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Although I wouldn't have said it quite the same the first person did I do agree with them.  It's hard to understand why what was acceptable for us as kids is now considered unsafe for ours.  I recently found out my mother has been saving a stroller for me since the 70's.  It's a pram style that has been in our attic for that long.  It worked for both my brothers and I but my baby won't ever be in it.

I'd get a new crib.  If you're okay with what you have there's plenty of bumpers options.

• Loading the player...
  • I'd forgo the older crib and the bumper pads altogether and get a new crib. The older crib might have been recalled or might not meet current safety regulations. 
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd say get a new crib.

There are new crib regulations for a reason, and I wouldn't feel comfortable using it. We had a drop side with DD, and as soon as we found out we were expecting DS, we got a new crib. Like the pp said, there are plenty of options under $150, and I think its totally worth the piece of mind.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Along with changing safety standards, a crib that old can simply wear out and thus have a higher risk of breaking or having stripped screw holes that are not safe. I would not use a crib that old. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageeloosterhous:

I've read all the articles out there against bumper pads, etc.  However, we have a older crib, which is the same one that my brother and I grew up in.  So, it's been around probably since 1979.  We used it for our daughter (now almost 3) and we plan on using it for this baby that is coming in May.  My question is - I see that they advise against bumper pads now, but do you need them for an older crib that might have gaps in the corners?

We have a hand-me-down crib as well (not as old as yours but it's not brand new).  We have the breathable bumpers.  I installed them before I had DS (he's 22mo now) & they've been great.  We're going to use them for #2 as well.

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • As far as bumpers go, we used the breathable bumpers with DS from the beginning and will do the same with this baby.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Forget about the bumpers.  That old crib is a bigger safety risk.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"