Northern California Babies

Picky eater all of a sudden...

It's like a switch flipped and J won't eat any of the things he used to eat anymore.  I try about 10 different things every night and the only things I can get him to eat are cheese, yogurt and bananas.  At what point do I stop offering so many things and just let him figure out that he needs to eat what's offered or there isn't anything else?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Picky eater all of a sudden...

• I wish I had advice beyond...just keep trying.

EJ is just like this, he only eats specific things but I keep offering and about once a week something peaks his interest and he attempts a taste.  Sometimes he likes it sometimes he doesnt...but he is back to eating apples which is BIG!  

So, just keep offering.  Also...I stopped making more than 1 meal.  He gets what we eat and if he doesn't eat he gets 1 chance at an alternative but I choose it and he can take it or leave it.  I think yours might be too young for that kind of thing...so I say just keep trying. 

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • What K said. 

Also, my pedi has the best toddler eating metaphor: they're like snakes. They exist on air for a week and then they inhale a mouse, and then spend a week digesting it. Rinse repeat.

I've done muffin tin lunches - I nuke a tablespoon or two of frozen veg (baz likes corn and peas) and then some chicken nuggets and some sweet potato fries and maybe some cheese and whatever and then a single cookie or a couple of choc chips... It's easy to throw together and I know he's being offered a variety.

At dinner he gets what we're eating, but we ask him for input - yes or no questions at this point, so last night we had pizza, but baz picked mushroom. And we let him help in the prep (dumping, stirring, that sort of thing) and that helps. 

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!  

Emmie...love that metaphor and I think I'll try the muffin tin lunches.  He is really into putting things into containers and taking them out right now.  Maybe that will give his food some novelty and he'll actually eat it! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pretty normal to go through picky phases.  I remember reading somewhere to only give them 3-4 things on their plate, otherwise it's just too much for them and they kind of shut down.  Personally I don't think it's ever to early to go with the here is what you've got and eat or don't.  It only gets harder as they get older and they start to realize you will give them other stuff, more stuff (which happens pretty darn quickly) and then they're holding out for crap.  If he's got a good appetite then I would really stick to my guns.  I had some issues with my oldest because he seriously still works in the snake mode except it's more like every few weeks that we see him really eat something, oddly enough he's like 86% for weight (and only 70 something for height so his height/weight ration is pretty much tacked right to HUGE) so I don't worry when he doesn't eat for quite seriously an entire day or more sometimes.
  • Ds went through this too, he still won't eat some things that he used to.  I keep trying and ask him to just try things, and sometimes he likes them and sometimes he won't.
  • Oh boy do we have a picky eater. It does go in ups and downs. The worst thing I can do is show that I care a lot. If I spend time making her something and act excited about it there is pretty much no way she will eat it. 

We try different things, she likes plain food. Plain avocado, plain carrots, plain chicken, noodles etc more than anything fancy. She just started eating ravioli, we are over the moon, LOL! 

It's so hit or miss too, one day she likes cheese, the next day she doesn't. etc. I just try really hard not to show any emotional attachment to whether or not she eats but I don't give her a bunch of crap is she doesn't, and I don't let her snack all day so she is somewhat hungry at meal time. At night she gets a cookie or two.

Sometimes the only thing I can get her to take is a smoothie. I have gotten to be an expert at sneaking in spinach. I also got this "Amazing Meal" powdered veggie, fruit, protein powder to put in her milk, she gets that with every cup of milk.  It's from Whole Foods. but she is a skinny little waif. 

• oh and she loves to feed herself so cute utensils, her own little table, things like that help a lot. Sometimes I just strip her down naked so it won't mess up her clothes. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"