Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

I have had it up to here ^

Seriously, this kid ignores me like it is his job! I can't stand it.

He just doesn't even acknowledge my presence when I am talking to him or trying to show him something. OMG! If only beating kids wasn't frowned upon (TIC).

Grrr...what do you do when your toddlers ignore you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I have had it up to here ^

• Options
    I hear ya! My DD does this too. So aggravating but probably pretty normal for a 2 year old. Hang in there!
  • Options

My girls didn''t go through that; an occasional "NO!" But no ignoring, really.  DS has just hit it, though and it is definitely frustrating.  DH just starts getting louder and louder until DS cries and then everyone is exasperated. 

I handle it in 2 ways.  1.  when he's not engrossed in something, I get his attention by being silly and then ask him to come to me, and when he does I tickle him, blow on his belly, kiss him, and Go crazy praising him for good listening then let him go to play.  I might shake a fun toy and ask him to come get in, and when he does, go bonkers, praise him for good listening.  Point being, 100 times a day ask him to come/do fun things, come take a sip of juice (huge treat) and make a BIG deal of good listening.

2. When I am asking him to follow a direction, I keep my voice positive and not let on that I know he's going to do the opposite.  When he blows me off, I repeat in a stern voice, give him 1/2 an instant to comply and then go pick him up and assist him in following the direction while trying not to let on that I'm annoyed.  If he runs off I catch him, keep my face and voice flat.  If we are at the playground or out in the community, I take him home, no warnings.  It only happened once.

GOod luck!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have the same issue!  My LO just ignores us.  Sometimes he'll even laugh when we are trying to discipline him.  Sometimes we will put him on a time out and he will yell at us "No, Mommy, I don't WANT a TIME OUT!!!"

It's hard not to laugh.  We just try to stick to the discipline!  It's hard!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I threaten mine with taking away a privilege. For instance, one that is working for me now is...  "If you don't listen to mama and be a good boy, we're not going to the hobby shop this weekend (he loves RC cars)....   only good kids go to the hobby shop".  It gets his attention every time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"