Military Families

Tri-care/DNA test

Hi all. Two months ago I gave birth to twin boys. They are what is known as mono/di, meaning they were in one sac, separated by a membrane. There is somthing like a .03 percent chance that even though they were in the same placenta, they could still be fraternal.

I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of tri-care covering DNA test? There was no blood drawn when they were born, so I am not even sure of their blood type at this point. Thank you all in advance.

Re: Tri-care/DNA test

• They took blood from the umbilical cord. Every state has mandatory tests that need to be completed for newborns. They never stick a newborn with a needle for blood unless 100% necessary. I have an almost six year old and 5.5 month old. I don't know their blood types either, and it drives me crazy. IMO, it should be mandatory with the newborn screenings, but I guess I'm out of luck. I just think it is important information to have.  As far as your question goes, I highly doubt Tricare will cover it because it doesn't really make a difference.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • They were definitely blood typed after birth...it's a necessity especially if the mother is a negative blood type and the baby is positive, the mother would need the RhoGam shot.

Ask your pediatrician at the next visit.

I doubt Tricare would cover a DNA test unless it was medically necessary.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Sgt M's wife, that's not true. I've had a baby in NC and in VA. Neither state require blood typing, and neither hospital did it. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I doubt they will cover DNA testing unless there is a clinical indication.  Blood typing is only necessary if the mom is Rh negative so it's not usually done.  There are mandatory newborn screening tests that each state requires but I believe they either get the blood from the cord or from a little stick on the bottom of the foot.  They definitely try to avoid drawing blood from babies because it's not that easy to do and it hurts the baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• They may have done it ask the pediatrician, I had my daughter at West Point and they did it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"