Pre-School and Daycare
Options

s/o re sippy cups

DD is 3 and I still give her a sippy cup sometimes.  She can drink out of a regular cup too (and does regularly) but I use the sippy cups alot in the mornings b/c she can drink milk as she get dressed and in the car.  Do other people not use sippy cups at all anymore?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: s/o re sippy cups

• Options
    I stopped using sippy cups when my girls turned 2.  We moved to straw cups and sports bottle style cups with lids for times when they needed to have the cups and we were not at the table.  At meals, they use regular cups with no lids.  My girls are now a few weeks shy of 4 and 5 1/2 years and we only use the straw cups for at night so they can have water in their rooms without making a huge mess or when we are out and about.  The rest of the time, we use regular cups at the table and during the day, they can refill those regular cups if they want a drink.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

We quit sippy cups at 2.  DS uses a regular cup at home and a water bottle when out and about.  He knows that he can't walk around while drinking and that his cup needs to stay in the kitchen.

ETA:  He has a water bottle in his bedroom for nighttime thirst. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I stopped sippy cups about 2, a little before, a little after with each boy.  I think the sippies can become as habit forming as bottles and I don't think they are any easier to deal with then a straw cup or sport top.  We've never really done straws in the car, or even sippies because the leaked too.  We went straight from bottles to sport tops ( Kleen Kanteen) in the car and rarely had a problem.
  • Options
    My 3yo still drinks from sippy cups...well, straw sippy cups, but sometimes regular ones too. He can drink from a cup without spilling, but caution isn't usually his first priority and he is just as likely to tip a cup upside down "just because" than anything.
  • Options

I stopped using sippy cups with DD at 2 years old. I felt they were too similar to bottles and she needed to learn how to drink from a regular cup. She did just fine.

In the car we have bottled water if she gets thirsty.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD has one left that she requests every once in awhile, but not often enough to be a habit.  We do straw cups when she's going to be drinking outside of the kitchen or dining room, and regular cups for sitting down at the table.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use them all the time.  Less spillage. 
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Options
    My son is a little over 3 and we still use sippy cups- he can/does use regular cups but I like sippy cups because they are easy to transport and less messy.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS can drink from an open cup well.  The only thing is that he always knocks it over during his dinner time antics.  We've let him have a very small amount of water in an open cup with meals.  For his full glasses of milk, we use a sippy cup.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD is 4 and we occasionally use them. She has been drinking from a regular cup for awhile, and we also use water bottles, but sometimes she wants the sippy (depending on her mood). I prefer them in the car, so that's usually when she gets them. Plus, now that the twins are using them, it's just easier to throw 3 in the diaper bag.

I don't think it really matters, as long as they're not walking around with them all day. It's not like they'll be using one forever, and it doesn't seem to be any kind of habit for her (she really doesn't seem to care that much either way).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD is 2 yrs 8 mos and I will say sometimes too.  School teachers began giving her drinks out of a regular cup at 2. No sippy cups are allowed, actually.  We use sippy cups when we have long trips in the car.  We just use regular water bottles if she is thirsty during our daily commute (just 20 min one way).

• Options
    DS#1 hasn't used a sippy since right around his 2nd birthday and he is 4 and a half now.  I think DS#2 will use them a bit longer though. 
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

Wow. DD is getting close to 5 and still uses a sippy for the car and when we're all watching a movie. She can drink out of a regular cup just fine, but even if she wouldn't spill an open cup, her little brother probably would spill it for her. 

And I can tell you that every single kid in her 3yo class had a sippy at school. In the pre-K room they use sports top water bottles and open cups.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    She's always used straw cups, never really took to a sippy.  She still uses straws most of the time around the house, but does perfectly fine with an open cup.  I know that's all she uses at school.  I just don't want to deal with a mess, since we let them roam around the house with cups.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"