Baby Showers

Just a rant about people & RSVP's

I'm just curious, did anybody else have a problem with people failing to RSVP for their shower?  My mom is really irritated because about 1/3 of the people invited to my shower have not responded by the requested date.  (I know about my shower - I wanted to spend more time with my guests and I get nervous being surprised.)  It's a mixture of people on my side and my DH's side.  And a mixture of family members and friends.  My mom gave both her phone # and her email on the invite, so it's not like they have the excuse that they were too shy to call.  And we know it's not that they got lost in the mail, because they've mentioned the invitation to other mutual people.

I know the world does not revolve around my shower and honestly most people groan when they get an invite to a shower.  I know that.  But I can't help but feel a little hurt, like it's sending a message that I'm not cared about that much.  I'm sure it's just the pregnancy hormones.

Just a rant.  I needed to get that off my chest.  But I'm assuming this is an across the board thing with others having the same issue?

Re: Just a rant about people & RSVP's

• I think it happens with most showers.  Some people just forget.  When was the RSVP date?  Its probably time for your mom to start making phone calls or writing e-mails.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I wouldn't take it personally.  For some reason, people do not RSVP for all sorts of events.  Showers, parties, weddings, whatever.  I think sometimes people forget, other times people don't see the point of RSVPing (which I don't get, clearly there is a point), and other times they wait to make sure they can come up until the day before.

DH and I had to call a handful of people who didn't RSVP for our wedding - one of DH's friends said he hadn't responded because his fiance hadn't decided yet if she wanted to come.  Tough nuts, tell us now or we'll RSVP "no" for the both of you.

If your Mom has the peoples' phone numbers I'd have her give them a call.  People are usually embarrassed (not always, DH's friend was just business as usual) when they get called on the carpet that they didn't RSVP.

• Loading the player...
  • I've found that people in general suck with replying these days. If it's an invite that's sent snail mail people either lose it or put it somehwere and forget about it or if it's electronic people rsvp and don't show or don't rsvp and you're left guessing.

It's a major pet peeve of mine

"Your actions have negatively affected the bump in the following ways..."
  • I hosted a shower for my sister a few years ago and only 1 person RSVP'd!  We ended up having about 40 people show up.  I bought  a prize for the person who did RSVP as a joke and it turned out that she didn't show up!  Funny.  
  • imageColorado Babies 12:
    I hosted a shower for my sister a few years ago and only 1 person RSVP'd!  We ended up having about 40 people show up.  I bought  a prize for the person who did RSVP as a joke and it turned out that she didn't show up!  Funny.  

This really is funny! 

I kind of wonder if many people don't even know what RSVP means.  Seriously...I don't think they do.  I always RSVP.  I think it is kind of odd when I call and the person (hostess) acts "surprised" that I called to say I was coming.  Weird. 

I would have your mom call everyone and let them know she needs to know if they are coming or not because she needs to plan food and seating.  If she doesn't speak to them personally have her leave a message for a call-back-by date.  I also say that if I don't hear from them then I will put them down as a "NO".  I have not had people come that I did that with.

To the pp that siad people don't even act apologetic:  I think it is because they don't even know what RSVP means.

• Another reason people don't RSVP, I think, is because they want to keep their options open.  Its like well...I guess I'll come if nothing else comes up, but I don't actually want you to count on me coming.  Annoying.

Another random RSVP pet peeve... people who RSVP that they ARE coming to your wedding/reception and then don't show up.  It can be a major hassle and expense to acquire extra seating and meals, and the people who ditch never seem to have a legitimate reason...they just decide they'd rather not!  Ugh!!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageGreenMonkey1:

DH and I had to call a handful of people who didn't RSVP for our wedding - one of DH's friends said he hadn't responded because his fiance hadn't decided yet if she wanted to come.  Tough nuts, tell us now or we'll RSVP "no" for the both of you.

I had people who did not RSVP to our wedding, and then CAME!  I kid you not.  Talk about rude.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagetheboki:
    imageGreenMonkey1:

I had people who did not RSVP to our wedding, and then CAME!  I kid you not.  Talk about rude.

I had people RSVP for the wedding, select the prime rib (of course) and not show. That was a costly 20some dinners no one ate :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A ton of people didn't RSVP to either of my showers.  The worst was when one of the hosts asked ME to call all of the people and ask them if they were coming or not.  How rude is that?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • The "excuse" I've heard from family members (usually those from the 70+ age group) who don't RSVP for events is "[Duh!] Well of course we're coming! You know we wouldn't miss this for the world!" They see their attendance as a given and invitations as a formality more aimed at the other (nonfamily) people.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Honestly, when I threw my sister's shower I sent out probably 30 invites to her friends and our family (she lives 2hours away by her BF's family so they had their own shower.) only about 1/3 RSVP'd, and it was barely to me! & the worst part was, most of the people that said they'd come DIDN'T SHOW UP! didn't call to say they were sorry or something came up or anything. I just find that part absolutely rude.

However, I have been guilty of getting an invite to a shower, not planning on going to it and forgetting to say anything. So, with that I'd have to assume that they don't plan on going.

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"