VBAC
Options

VBAC Candidates

What makes you a good candidate for VBAC?  I didn't progress past 5cm and DD didn't drop, which was the result of not progressing.  22 hours of labor ended in c-section.  My doc said he's open to VBAC and we will discuss towards the end, I would like to know what circumstances make you a good candidate?
My BFP Chart
BFP 7.16.11 - Chemical M/C 7.26.11
BFP 1.12.12 - EDD 10.12.12 - Stick baby stick!
Beta#1 (12DPO) - Beta 48 Prog 34
Beta #2(19DPO) - Beta 1767 Prog 54 - Beta #3(26DPO) -
My BFP Chart
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: VBAC Candidates

• Options

According to the ACOG, anyone with a low transverse incision is a good candidate for a trial of labor. 

There are calculators you can find that will figure out your odds.  I believe someone posted it not too long ago.  But, there's so much there that they don't consider - like a supportive provider and a strong will.  Some of the factors are: age, weight, time between births, a previous diagnosis of CPD or FTP, babies over 9lbs, going post dates.  If you use a calculator, I wouldn't let it worry you.

I would focus on asking your doctor about his rules and policies.  I'd be a little concerned with the comment that he wants to "discuss towards the end."  There should be nothing that you need to discuss at the end, that you couldn't discuss before you even get pregnant.   It sounds like he might be a "bait and switch" type provider.  So, you'll get to 38 weeks and he'll start talking about how big the baby is and how you haven't made any progress. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagecchill01:

I would focus on asking your doctor about his rules and policies.  I'd be a little concerned with the comment that he wants to "discuss towards the end."  There should be nothing that you need to discuss at the end, that you couldn't discuss before you even get pregnant.   It sounds like he might be a "bait and switch" type provider.  So, you'll get to 38 weeks and he'll start talking about how big the baby is and how you haven't made any progress. 

Definitely this! I would get a firm answer either way right now, so you know if you have to find a new provider. I was never given any constraints (besides having to have continuous monitoring and an IV) for labor just because I was planning a VBAC.

I pushed for 4+ hour with my first son before I had a c-section with him. I went on to have a straightforward VBAC with his brother (who ended up being a lot bigger than my first, also). Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Like PP said, your OB may not be so supportive in the end.  While I already knew I wanted to VBAC, my OB suggests it in my case.  He said it is silly not too.  I was almost 6 cm, not in labor, baby had dropped, baby wasn't even 6 lbs.  She just decided to be an acrobat and flip at the last minute.

• Options

Also agree with PP. I would not wait and talk at the end.

My c/s was for a lot of the reasons yours was, first I was induced at 41 weeks, DS didnt descend and then we went for the C as procautionary with his heart decels and not wanting it to turn into a emergency. My OB's are on board with me going for a VBAC.

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"