2nd Trimester
Options

Choroid Plexus Cysts

So we went for our 20 week ultrasound last Friday.  Its a boy! I went to the Dr. that afternoon excited for my regular check up and she mentioned they found bilateral choroid plexus cysts on the babies brain.  She mentioned that I would need to have a genetic ultrasound done (or an amnio, but I chose the US) to rule out Downs Syndrome or Trisomy 18.  Fast forward to today... they gave me an appt for Feb 15th (2 weeks away).  I have an anxiety disorder normally... and now im just out of control having panic attacks at work overheating, shaking, crying.  This can not be healthy.  Has anyone else experienced this with this with a prior pregnancy or this pregnancy? TIA
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Choroid Plexus Cysts

• Options

I know it's ridiculously hard to try to be calm, but try not to worry. This is my first pregnancy, and at my 20 week A/S, my doc also found bilateral choroid plexus cysts. I will let you know that although I was worried as soon as he said there was a "chance" of our baby boy having a genetic abnormality, he was NOT worried. He said they're seen on ultrasounds fairly often, and the chance of them being a soft marker for a genetic abnormality is still very low.

He had us do a followup ultrasound 2 weeks later at our hospital's genetic testing center, and the cysts had totally disappeared by then. The genetic U/S tech did a full scan again, and said based on the fact that our boy's hand fully opened (waved at us, basically), and several other things, she saw no other markers of any genetic abnormalities, and was confident that he was healthy.

While I normally recommend NOT googling, in this case, I would; the statistics are actually very comforting. The chances of the cysts actually pointing to an abnormality are very low. Good luck; T & P's coming your way!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I personally have not had them, but my friend had them on her U/S and there have been multiple posts on the boards about these. They are actually a fairly common finding. I know it's easier said than done, but keep in mind that choroid plexus cysts are a soft marker and if that is the only thing they have found on your U/S then things are already looking good. A lot of the time they will even clear up on their own. As a matter of fact, a lady on my birth month board just posted today how her baby's cysts had cleared up. I know 2 weeks is a long time to wait when it comes to finding out about the health of your baby, but stress and worry isn't good for you or your LO.
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yes, they found that with my DS and he's perfectly healthy. they are a common finding, but legally they are required to tell you about it. most of the time they are nothing. we did a follow up ultrasound (no amnio) and chat with a genetic counselor. after all that he was fine. i know it's SO hard not to worry, but try to relax--it's a common thing.  a friend who is an OB/GYN said she wishes they didn't even have to tell patients how often they find them because they cause lots of unnecessary worry most of the time. hope you get good results soon. GL!
    diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Are they isolated? Meaning...any other soft markers? At the a/s they can do a 4D and check for facial abnormalities....they can also check for clenched hands and club feet in regards to Tri18 ( it was explained to us by our peri that nearly all Tri18 babies have this. many of these babies will also have heart defects and dilated kidneys.

We had non-bilateral CPC's at our a/s but with my NT scan, sequential/quad screen they were not worried. However, I did come back in for a Level II to check for growth of the baby. The CPC's were gone. They think that with today's advancement in imaging they are just seeing more of these and that they are more common than they used to think.

If they are isolated cysts I wouldn't worry...I know it is hard but they are really common! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We just had our A/S last week. They also found a cyst on her. The doctor said they didn't see any other indication something was wrong and that they normally go away but the 26th week. She said the chances of a baby born with something wrong when a cyst is seen is 1:1406 babies (or basically 0.001%). I was slightly worried too but knowing its such a small percent and hearing that so many other women had this show up and they had a healthy baby makes me feel better.

We also have to go back at 27 weeks for another scan to see if the cyst is gone and because I have hypothyroidism and they have to check her thyroid to make sure everything is okay. I would say, try not to worry, these things seem very common.

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    They are isolated - with no other markers I had a good AFP (what they consider negative) test as well.  Thank you all for the comforting words and encouragement.  I am trying to stay as calm as possible.  Thank you all for your advice and stories.  I am sorry you all had to go through this too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes, our baby had one isolated CPC at our 19w a/s.  I freaked out for a few days, but now I feel much better about it.  I also talked to a genetic counselor who made me feel MUCH better about it all.  Basically, the chances of anything being wrong are way less than 1%. 
  • Options

I also suffer from anxiety attacks regularly and unfortunately since the pregnancy I have not been able to medicate when it gets bad... and by bad, I mean: extreme paranoia brought on by anxiety that then induce full-on anxiety attacks, scream crying, intense mood swings and hyperventilating.

I can say that writing down your feelings, venting to someone you are close with, talking yourself down from the heightened feelings that are associated with anxiety really can help. Otherwise, distraction, distraction, distraction... read a book, watch a movie/tv show, go for a walk (or do some sort of exercise) or take a nap.

Feel free to PM me any time. I feel your pain :/ and I hope you feel better soon.

As PP's have indicated, the cysts usually clear up and are very common. Try to focus on that, and not on the other possibilities *hugs*

----------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Visit The Nest!
    ----------
    "Everything happens for a reason"
    ----------
  • Options
    They found one on our little boy this morning during our 19 wk ultrasound too. At first I freaked out after the tech mentioned it, but after talking to my doctor, she said she really is not very concerned. I have a level 2 ultrasound scheduled for Monday and she is really having me do that because baby was in a funny position and they couldn't get good pictures of all of his organs. We did our NT testing and all of our numbers were great, so she is almost positive it will resolve itself with no issues. Like a PP, research it a little. I felt much better once I visited a couple sites and saw the statistics. Baby will feel your stress too, so think positively and try not to stress out too much, as hard as I know that is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

At our 16 week optional sono they found 2 cysts...and i was worried until they said that it is common and usually disapear. So this morning was my 20 week check....and one cyst is gone! again the doc reassured me by stating all my results from blood work and also stated that one of the other doctors had 3 children and ALL of them had cysts that eventually disappeared!!!

good luck and try to stay positive!!!!

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My Choloid Plexus cyst baby is running around in his room right now, wreaking having, so I better go get him.  He'll be celebrating his 3rd birthday in April, goes to preschool and knows most of his letters.  He had exactly that and everything is fine.
  • Options
    They found the same thing on my baby girl.  My genetic ultrasound is March 19, and I am nervous, too.  The good news is that they almost always go away by week 26, and my doctor said not to worry!  I'm praying for you and baby!  
  • Options

My baby has a choroid plexus cyst, found at the 20 week ultrasound. My doc said not to worry at this point.  We're having a follow-up ultrasound at 24 weeks to see if they're still present. 

Try not to worry. :) I really believe that if they don't see any other abnormalities, that the choroid plexus cysts are likely nothing, so I'm not too worried about my baby's. In fact, there's a possible correlation between isolated choroid plexus cysts in fetal development and unusually gifted children, so I'm trying to lean on that!

BabyFruit Ticker

July 3rd, 2012 ~ Hang in there sweetheart, we can't wait to meet you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"