South Florida Babies
Options

Overreacting - climbing on couches

The boys love to climb on the couch.  Sometimes they just sit there calmly and watch their cartoons... but mostly they crawl around or, worse, walk around!  They love to turn off/on the switches that are on the wall too (which I don't mind if that were the only thing they did).

Everytime I see them start to get up, I say NO sternly, and when they continue to climb anyway, I take them down and say NO again.  I try to entertain them with a toy away from couch, but doesn't always work.  I'm very tired of say NO x2 on a daily/hourly basis.  They don't seem to want to climb on their when MIL or nanny are with them.

When DH is in the room and I'm not, he usually lets them.  Last night I got upset at him bc I felt that he was being counterproductive.  So we both started telling them NO and taking them down when they attempted.  We even threatened to a spank which they know what it means (at least we think they do).  They continued to do it.

Anyway, in am I being too "strict" and first time mommy with them?  Should I just let them explore, and if they fall down, well hopefully they learn?  Or am I doing right by making them get down, even though they don't listen?

FYI - there is an area rug with a padding underneath around border of couch, so they'd fall on that. 

-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Overreacting - climbing on couches

• Options

I'm okay with possibly being the odd man out on this one, so here it is. 

I let J climb on the couch. I've decided to pick my battles with him and that's not one I'm willing to fight. I Sometimes he climbs up and sits down like a good boy lol and watches tv but other times he runs from one side to the other, climbs on the dog and then when Alexis and I are sitting here he climbs over us. I posted a video of this recently on FB. 

Has he fallen, sure. But not enough to hurt himself and it honestly hasn't happened often. Nor does it phase him. This kid is absolutely fearless and while sometimes it scares the crap out of me, I prefer it to him being scared of everything. Like you, I have a rug down with the padding and 90% of the time one of our couch throws or pillows is on the floor. The couch also isn't very high off the ground. 

I was 7 when the oldest of my 2 younger brothers was born and I remember them being toddlers and the boundries my grandmother set for them. Boys are just different. They climb and jump off stuff and seriously make you bringe at least 50 times a day in fear that they will hurt themselves. 

I prefer to save my loud NO's for things that he could really hurt himself with.  

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options
    Whenever little E does that (which is often as well), I try to not say "no" because it tends to make him want to do it more. I usually say something along the lines of "you can fall if you climb the couch" and I guide him towards another toy or activity. It doesn't always work but if he decides to go back to the couch, I repeat myself and if he climbs it anyway then I just let him and I'm nearby. We also have it padded underneath. It doesn't always work but they're in that exploration stage and they try to see what they can get away with. I just keep reinforcing and figure that someday they will learn...I hope, because Big E is worse and jumps on everything and doesn't listen.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I guess girls are different from a young age.  Elise is not that interested in climbing, but she loves to "registrar" around the house.  I didnt babyproof much, so I just let her touch whatever she wants and I just keep most of the breakable stuff out of reach (glass vases or ornaments).  I figure I'd rather let her get it out of her system and just teach her to put things back, which she usually does.  I mostly save the stern "NO" for something more serious, especially, when we're at someone else's house.  

I guess if she were into climbing, I'd just let her, too, and just be there to make sure she doesn't get hurt.  I've noticed with her that she will do something over and over until she gets bored and moves onto something else.  

BTW, she has her own little chairs and ottoman that she climbs on, sits on, and gets down from.  Maybe, that's why she's not interested in the couch??? 

• Options

Thanks for the suggestions girls!  Boys will be boys I guess, and they need to explore without me restricting them.  They aren't in danger when on couch (even though a freak accident is always a possibility).  Most of the time, they just climb on and watch TV for like 2 min and then slide off, which by the way, they learned to do on their own properly!

imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

BTW, she has her own little chairs and ottoman that she climbs on, sits on, and gets down from.  Maybe, that's why she's not interested in the couch??? 

The boys have a Mickey couch similar to Elise's and the like to sit on that one, but it has to be funner to be on the big couch!  LOL

BTW, they actually don't attempt to climb while we are other people's homes, which I guess is best.  They are always very cautious looking at things when we visit.

And they too are little "chismosos" touching everything, getting on their tipy toes to view... and it is amazing how they find a new item in their playroom if placed while they were sleeping!  It is the first thing they see, even if it is a small golf ball! 

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Zachary started climbing on the couch at a wee 11 months. I was a little nervous at the beginning because we actually have NO rug at all for him to bounce off of, but as he get better at walking and balance I really had no problem with it.

He is 3 now and crawls along the top of the couch like a frickin' cat! There is no stopping him! He will climb all over anything and has been like that since he was just a little guy.

I always make sure to keep an eye on him and like Justine said, I save the big "NO" for things that will truly hurt him. Otherwise I let him do whatever he wants and explore! :) Boys are so different from girls, and I was always a really mellow kid and was content to read a book or play with my toys on the floor.... my son is quite different though and I think it can take a little getting used to!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Options

So, I started being a bit more lax with the boys over the weekend. We have a train table as a coffee table in the family room over an area rug. They like to climb on it too, but since so small, I make them sit.

Well, I guess Alex was trying to look at a toy below, and he fell off, and seeing him fall, and hit his head as his neck bent, OMG what a horrible sight!  I thought he was going to be paralyzed.  I don't think I can handle the stress of them roaming the couch/table?!

-- Jackie
  • Options

Reading your post, Jackie, I could have written it myself. About Isabelle. I did not have this couch climbing issue with Sophia but with Izzy it got pretty bad. She even rolled off once, hit the floor, and as I held my breath to see what she would do she stood up, made a complaining noise, brushed herself off and went to do something else. She was soon back up on the couch.

I realized quickly that she does it to get a rise out of me. She stands up and makes a noise, does a little bounce and smiles at me. I stopped making a big deal about it.....and its mostly lost its appeal to her. Also, I had the living room area <and couch> closed of with a baby gate system. Since I have taken it down and made the rest of the house "baby proof" and more accessible - she climbs less because she has more to do.

This parenting stuff is hard! Whether you ar a first time mom or second or even third - its different with each kid.

Love

Mel

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My nephew is almost and loves to climb on the couch, well really anywhere. I don't allow him to climb on things that aren't for climbing. He climbs over the back of the couch both ways. I tell him we don't climb on couches, or tables for that matter. I block him from climbing and he gets so angry that he storms off. My sister lets him climb everywhere and it's so frustrating to me.

I want to say that I would pick my battles with my own, but there are lots of things that I just can't allow my kid to do. I laugh because I am a teacher of kinder kids in a not so good area. I let a lot of things slide because they simply don't get taught at home, but others I just can't let go. 

If you are consistent, they do learn. It's extremely frustrating, but it's well worth it.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My kids do this as well...they walk on the couch, jump off the couch to the ottoman, climb behind the couch...you name they've done it.  The only time I intervene is when they are pushing, shoving each other, or playing rough.  Mostly - I warn them..."be careful" "you're going to get hurt" "sit down"..etc.  I leave NO for serious offenses - standing on glass table (yep they do this), in the kitchen touching stove knobs, or climbing into Eli's bunk bed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"